Chapter 28

With Amora

On our way to the garden we ended up running into Rya who insisted that if I'm there then she wants to have tea as well so we all made our way to the duchess garden and sat at a shady table where the sun did not reach. "A winter ball?" I repeated after Mother Evelyn had said something about a ball that was coming up. "Yes, it's quite surprising that the emperor would host a party when such an important event to the people is so near" said Mother Evelyn. "Have you never heard of it?" Asked Rya I shook my head no in response. "Well the Winter ball is usually hosted on the first day of winter at a place called the Snowy villa owned by both our family and the imperial family. The Winter ball is usually the ball that nobles from ages 16 to 19 make their official debut into high society and it's also where they often find marriage partners as well" Rya Explained.

"Now that I think about it dear how old are you?" Asked Mother Evelyn. "Me?, I'm 19" I replied "have you had your official debut yet?" Asked Mother Evelyn. I shook my head no, not once was something like this ever even mentioned to me, I mean I do remember the first day of winter when I turned 18 and my uncle, aunt and two cousins left for an important event after fussing for days over clothing for my cousins for some big event but I had no idea that it was for the winter ball.

Both mother Evelyn and Rya looked at each other with a frowning expression before looking back over at me. "Why don't you come to this one then?" Asked Rya. "What?!, No" I said "But it will be fun to go together" said Rya.

"Yes but it wouldn't make sense for me to go I'm already married" I said. "The winter balls only purpose isn't to find engagement partners but also a great opportunity for nobles to make meaningful connections to strengthen relationships within high society" said Mother Evelyn. I thought about it, I mean it is a good opportunity to see some new people. "Don't you wish to make friends with whom you can speak freely too?, between you and me the Grand Dukedoms palace can get lonely, you can't interact with the maids however you please, his grace will be either busy or gone and Rya will soon leave to officially begin her studies at the academy of swordsmanship" said Mother Evelyn making a good point. It would seem that I will be completely alone once again.

"Ok I'll go" I replied Rya clapped her hands excitedly as a large smile spread across her face. But suddenly her excitement disappeared and her smile turned into a frown. "But wait mother Amora needs a family member to represent her as her debut sponsor" said Rya. I sighed right, my uncle and aunt would never do it and my parents are deceased so who will be my sponsor. "Cheer up you two I'll be Amoras Sponsor after all this is an event young girls and boys usually attend with their mothers and fathers, seeing as Amora is my daughter now as well I see no problem in being both your sponsors" said Mother Evelyn Ryas excited expression returned and I looked at mother Evelyn surprised "You sure that's ok?" I asked she smiled "Of course, we're family" she said I smiled as a warm feeling filled my chest. Family a word that's never held much of a meaning to me until now.

                         Later;
                                   With Raul

Ugh finally I'm finished with these documents for the Viscount Estate now all I have to do is visit the town and see just how much resources I'll have to take from the Grand Dukedom and send to them. If the towns people didn't get any of the money left behind by Amoras father the former count, then I can only assume that they're struggling worse than  animals on the lands of the viscounts estate.

But at what point do I tell everything to Amora?, she's recently brought it to my attention that I've dishonored our agreement once and yet I'm still doing it now by hiding the situation with the Succession of the Viscounts title. I don't want her to hate me for not telling her right away but I also don't want her to leave me, what should I do?.