Chapter 29

With Raul

Visiting the
viscount Estate;

"What's the overall report on the house?" I asked one of the workers I hired. "The rooftop needs to be repaired immediately, there's small entry holes in the basement that could lead to a potential pest and rodent problem and there's mold upstairs on the top floor where it would seem someone use to stay, I honestly don't see how anyone could have stayed up there without getting ill" he said. I clutched my teeth together tightly, knowing that Amoras room used to be on the top floor. That mold could be part of the reason why she's in bad health.

"And how much will the repairs cost?" I asked "60 silver coins" he said, I sighed that's quite expensive for something I'd imagine is pretty simple to repair. Even though I knew very well that he was taking advantage of the fact that I'm a noble and The grand Duke at that. I decided to pay it no mind I had no shortage of money and as long as it's for Amora the cost don't matter. I want this place to be in excellent condition when I hand over everything to Amora.

"Ok, the 60,000 silver will be credited to you once the work is completed, please note that since this is quite expensive if anything is unsatisfactory to me your payment will be deducted accordingly" I said. I was as calm as could be yet the man still looked frightened "Y-yes sir" he said.

Later I went on to see the town and people in which all were in bad conditions as well, food shops and stands charged high prices for foods that should only cost one copper coin. Children wore rags that were covered in dirt, they were also thin and skinny.

Just then I bumped into someone because I wasn't quite paying attention to my surroundings. I looked down at a short brown haired man who seem to had been carrying creates full of fruits that looked more on the rotten side. I crouched down and picked up one before looking up at the guy who was trembling in fear. "I-I'm s-sorry sir, please forgive for bumping into you, have mercy" the man begged before bowing down at my feet.

These people were so timid and jumpy. I sighed before picking up his crate and beginning to put the fruits back in it. "Please Rise your head, this was my fault not yours"  I said handing him the now full again create, the man looked up surprised but relieved. "T-thank you" he said before standing up and grabbing both crates then going off on his way again.

I stood back up and went off on my way as well, "Bread!, get your bread here only 20 silver coins!" said the older man selling Bread behind the stand. I decided to go over, not to buy some bread but to buy some information. "I'll give you 30 silver" I said the man's eyes lit up "Really?!, um I mean yes thank you here is your bread" he said I shook my head "No need I'm not buying Bread, I want you to tell me everything you know about why you all are living this way" I said the old man's face went sad. "Ah yes see, it started when Count Owen and viscountess Alessia passed away, the Lords brother took over the title 10 days after the funeral and that's when he started to raise taxes so much that we couldn't afford to feed ourselves or our families, and it wasn't like we could just not pay them if anyone refused to pay their taxes then they were bonded to a slave contract and sold off to a slave trader" he explained.

But one thing didn't make sense how come no letters reporting on the situation were sent to the capital or the grand Dukedom?, "I don't understand why didn't anyone file complaints?" I asked the old man looked at me as if I asked a question that I should already know the answer to. "Well because the people aren't allowed to send letters only the counts family are  allowed" he said. Not allowed to send letters?!, that's a basic right that he was stripping them of.

I sighed and pulled out the 30 silvers that was promised before giving them to the old man. "Thank you so much!" He said as I walked away.

Back at the Dukedom
Location: The grand Dukedom Palace