The Ascendant's Doll

I woke up with empty wine bottles residing next to me. I was sprawled around the main hall, near my throne. This was how I would wake up since Wyll. I knew I would never forgive myself, not in this lifetime. I peered around the room and seen nobody. I stood up, brushing my skirt off, and went back to my room. Astarion wasn’t there. Which meant he seen me, once again, drunkenly passed out. I was my own person I wasn’t afraid to anger him. I had Lia make me presentable which proved to be impossible without getting sick. I was more hungover than that day in the tub.

Astarion and I had been married for a month now. It had been wonderful so far. I ventured into the city, finding the nearest blacksmith, accidentally stumbling across a familiar face.

“Ay mate! How’ve you been-gods you look like you went to Avernus, and back. Is that what happens when you marry a vampire lord?” Karlach pat me on the shoulder, then reached in for a hug.  “Oh, and congrats on being Queen, and all that.”

“Something like that aha. Just a rough night drinking, you know a thing or two about that. And thank you!“ I assured her everything was fine.

“I sure do. Have you heard from any of our other friends? Gale is in Waterdeep, and no offense to him but he’s quite a bore. Shadowheart is off doing whatever Dark Justiciar's do when they aren’t busy murdering their parents. “ Karlach joked with me.

“Jaheira is always around, or so I’d assume. Halsin is….. well probably off being Halsin.” I said.

“Have you heard from Wyll? I seen in the gazette his father went missing, I’d like to see how he’s doing.” She questioned me.

“No, but its quite a shame about his father. He is a Duke after all, Baldur’s Gate needs him, even with the Absolut being rid of.”

“Damn, right. Well hey, I’m staying in the Elfsong Tavern, ill be there for a tenday. Feel free to pay me another visit. It was nice catching up, friend. Take care of yourself” she chimed before hugging me.

Either she’s blind or just didn’t find it necessary to bring up me being a vampire. She probably suspected it would happen one day, Astarion always was my weakness. Karlach and Wyll were becoming close towards the end of our journey, I was surprised they didn’t keep in touch or end up together to be honest. Then again I wasn’t so sure she liked men. She once told me she wanted to ride me, back before we fixed her engine- can’t blame her, id be desperate for any kind of intimacy too after years, and years of nothing.

At the blacksmith forge I purchased a new dagger, one that had a gold and ruby handle, and a nice medium blade, not too long, not too short, it was just right. I started to test it out on a nearby training dummy when I felt a cold familiar hand grab my wrist, stopping me. It was Astarion’s.

Hello there. I noticed you took off without saying anything to anybody. Surprised you aren’t held up in some tavern or what have you.” He snickered at me.