Chapter 1

working in the laundry house was exhausting, Roxy and I always worked as a team when it came to the big loads, and today was no different hot and wet like every day before the last. "so any cute boys" Roxy asked me smiling I turn to her blushing "no, honestly every man in this town makes my skin crawl" I say making us both giggle.

"Roxy! Delia! Where are they? Roxy, Delia your Nells back" Abigail says frantically "What?" Roxy and I ask at the same time "Nell. your nell. she back" she says looking at me I turn to Roxy and then back at Abigail "Nell's dead" Roxy says Abigail shakes her head no and Roxy and I both drop what where doing and run to the pub.

I should probably backtrack here when Nell and I first met we were 8 and I was on the verge of living on the streets my mom was almost dead and my dad was wrongfully hung for trying to steal medication to keep mom alive just months before when she first met me she gave me some food and we played games on the streets till her pa would call her in, overtime we talked more.

I told her about my ma and papa and she felt bad so she convinced her father to take me in two weeks after that ma died I started working immediately after that just trying to help Nelly's dad as much as I could, I never wanted to be seen as a burden and from that day on always made that a point.

"Nell?" Roxy yells as we run into the pub "Nelly?" I yell running behind her "Nelly" Roxy yells as she runs to hug her I stand to the side smiling remembering all the nights we talked about this exact thing happening.

"let me see you," Nell says pulling away from Roxy and looking her up and down "Look at you, and don't call me Nelly," she says making me laugh she is the same old Nelly she hugs Roxy again then looks my way smiling.

"Delia," she says looking at me "You look a lot different now Nelly," I say smiling at her as I run to hug her "Oh I missed you," she says still hugging me "I missed you lots but what are you doing back I thought you died with your husband," I say pulling away from her just to look her in the eyes to see if it's her.

"well it is a long story all you need to know is I'm a widow and not dead," she says smiling at me

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

walking up to her grave felt weird I never came to see it after the girls and I made the headstone "What is this" Nelly asks when we get to her grave "Pa wouldn't pay for a proper one" George says "So We made that" Roxy says as we all look at the cross "you wound us all up good when you left mainly sam " I say looking at her.

"Do you mind if I pull it up? only it's giving me the creeps" Nell says looking at the cross "Go ahead, Nelly. Nell sorry" George said looking in the distance Nelly pulled the cross out of the ground like it was nothing "Let's go," she said carrying her cross with us.

I rubbed George's back as we walked back to the pud so she knew no one was mad at her "So why is Lord Blancheford kicking up a rumpus, then?" Nelly asks as we walk through town "It isn't Lord Blancheford" George says "It's his son" Roxy says with disgust in her voice.

"Thomas, do you remember him?" I ask her looking up at her as we walk "No" Nell says "Well he grew up" Roxy says looking at the horse he killed earlier today "Mean and stupid" George says giggling "This is his idea of fun" I say looking at the horse as well.

"So why doesn't anyone do anything?" Nell asks sounding all confused as she looks at us all "Cause we're all his tenants, or will be if anything happens to his old man" George says making me look down at her.

"Roxy all my neighbors are on the warpath Roxanne Delia, you better shake yourself," Abigail says walking up to us "Well you tell her my long lost sister is home from the dead" Roxy says looking dumbfounded "I did she said it can't happen," Abigail said turning to nelly "Ahoy, Nelly," Abigail says walking aff "All right," Nelly says "of course, we have to work," I say looking down exhausted from the day already.

"We better go," Roxy says turning to Nell "I'm on my last warning," Roxy says "Come here, "Nelly says pulling her in for a hug "You must go sweet talk pa," Roxy says smiling "I will," Nelly says as Roxy leaves us "come on," Nell says holding her free arm out "fine" I say hugging her "missed you Nelly" I say pulling away and walking off "names Nell now" she yells as I try to catch up with Roxy.

After work when I got to the pub a small crowd was there celebrating but now it was huge I might go down and help for the tips alone sitting upstairs with Nelly and Roxy while they got Nelly all dressed up for the party I was watching from the bed in the room "this looks good let's see it from the front" Roxy says as Nells sighs deeply as she turns around to give us a look.

Roxy sits down next to me on the bed "You look good Nell" Roxy says admiring her older sister "Yeah?" Nell asks me "Yeah," Roxy says "Is it comfortable," I ask her smiling "No what's all this about?" she asks waving her hands above her boobs, dragging them down her side and groaning making me smile at her.

"Do you miss him? Captain Jackson?"Roxy asks "Nell, Nell, Dad wants you downstairs now everybody wants to see you with their own eyes, everyone wants to hear about the war, where is your sword?" George yells as she comes into the room right on time "I do miss him a bit except.." she says and I get up and walk out not wanting to relive what happened that day.

as I walk downstairs I hear gunshots which only means one thing Thomas is here.