Chapter 8

———————————————

Two Days Later

"Good, that's very good," Charles says complimenting George on the magic trick he's teaching her "Oh,  Lady Shankley, Ann, look," George says making me and Nelly look over at her, she shows us the trick making George and I giggle at the same time.

"Yeah, oh I could've been in Bristol now I Could've been on a ship," Nelly says looking out the window making me roll my eyes and move to sit with Charles and George "Well, you see the thing is, even then, I shouldn't feel obliged to run off," she says making us all stop and look at her.

"I should be able to find a magistrate who will listen to the truth," Nelly says finishing her speech, making Charles laugh as she takes a hit of her pipe "Won't happen the law is made by the toffs for the toffs the truth is ether irrelevant..." Charles says "Yeah right" Nelly whispers making me laugh.

"Or whatever they want to think," Charles says "But it shouldn't be," George says confused "But that's just how they all think, toddler you won't find one that doesn't," Charles says making me hit him in the arm he shouldn't tell a kid that.

"Why do you live like this? If you're a toff in real life?" George asks Charle "Yeah why is that?" I ask getting curious "You assume I have a choice, I have no money," He says making me confused "You're a liar," Nelly says sitting up "No," He says.

"It's true," He says shuffling up the cards "My old man liked the gambling tables too much, left me next to nothing just the title and my address in Mayfair which I'm very fond of except it's full of tenants I just have two rooms in the attic but, so what? It's an address in Mayfair that's all that matters if people can have confidence in you in who you say you are, well, it makes'em feel comfortable then you can get away with almost anything" he says pulling a card from no know where seemingly.

George and I laugh at his trick "Brillant" George says turning to Nelly, Nelly just shakes her head and looks at me

"And then up. I'm up, I'm up, I'm up and I'm up, I'm up I'm up and I'm one, two.." Charles says dancing in front of Nelly and me as a knock on the door interrupts him, Nelly stands up "Go on then" Nelly says pointing at the door and making Charles open it.

Rasselas walks in "Ah. thank you, footman" Charle says taking the letter from Rasselas hand "I'm not your footman you jumped up pickpocket I am pretending to be your footman," Rasselas says sitting down as Charle opens the letter.

"Why? 'Tis an invitation to Lord and Lady Shankley, to go playing cards tomorrow afternoon over at Widdicombe Manor with Lord and Lady Springbourne" Charles says all excited making me smile at his antics "Who's that?" Nelly asks.

"We met them in church, yesterday we were talking to him. Well, I was. I said we were just passing through on our way up to London, and well they've gone and done the civil thing and invited us to drink tea with them and play cards" Charles says with a smile knowing he got invited to a toffs part was big even In my book.

"Well, you must write back and say we can't go," Nelly says making me shocked "Why?" Charles asks making me smile at how sad he got "Because as soon as I open my cake hole they'll probably gonna smoke the fact that I don't know one end of a fork from the other" Nelly says making me feel bad for her.

"Nelly. You are such a disappointment we can fleece them at the card tables" Charle says making me gasp at the beginning "I can't" Nelly says "I can! We'll be quids in and it'll be a riot" Charles says trying to change her mind "You were surprisingly convincing as Lady Shankley when we arrived, Nelly" George says making me smile.

"George is right. You do have a natural... something or other about you" Charles says Making Nelly rolls her eyes and then give me a look that says what the fuck, making me giggle " I brought this as well just in case there was anything about you in it" Rasselas says handing George and me the newsletter.

"Think of it like this, the more you practice pretending to be other than you are, the better you're going to get at it," Charles says weighting the Springdourne to accept their invite "Plus, Nelly this Lord Springdourne, he might be a magistrate you can fathom what sort of cove he is, and if he seems like the sort that might listen-" I say sitting down next to Nelly and George.

"-What time are they expecting us?" Nelly asks Charles as George and I read the newsletter "Four o'clock" Charles says not even looking up "Listen to this. "The villain who held up and stole a carriage outside Potter bar three days ago is believed to be none other than the same Nelly Jackson, who committed the foul murder of Lord Blancheford" George reads out making me proud.

"Why do they call me Nelly?" she asks looking at me "If it was, It might be assumed that the fiend..." I say George interrupts me "Is that you? "George asks Nelly "Yeah, it is," Nelly says with a smirk "... Is heading north" I finish the paragraph "Ha! Well, they've got that wrong if everyone thinks we're heading north we might be all right here in Slough for a good week" Charles says walking his letter over to Rasselas.

"The reward for information leading to the capture of Jackson had been raised to..." George says getting confused at the end "Had been raised to 40 pounds" I say looking at George and then Nelly in shock, as she smirks making me feel some way.

"George, can I do your hair so you also look nice?" I ask as we all get ready to go drop Nelly and Charles off at the Springdourne manner "Yeah can you do the same thing though?" she asks sitting in front of me "Okay just sit still so I can work faster" I say explaining what I need as I take down her bride and start a new one.

"Hey, you two almost ready to go?" Nelly asks walking into our room and sitting on the bed next to me just watching me work "George you look so good in your new dress I think you might upstage Nelly" I say smiling as George laughs and nelly hits me in the arm almost making me mess up.

"Hey, that was mean," I say pulling the hair tight so the bride won't fall "Nelly well we go in or sit in the carriage and wait?" George asks "You guys will sit outside in the carriage and wait for us we won't be too long, promise," Nelly says as I pat George on the shoulder to tell her I'm done.

"Okay, I guess you're good George go find Roxy, and don't blow your cover," I say smiling as she walks out of the room "Hey let me fix the front I did it wrong," I say standing face to face with Nelly as I Fix her baby hairs "So you excited to met these people," I ask.

"Yeah I guess doesn't seem too interesting though," she says, I can feel her eyes roaming my face as I finish fixing her hair on my tiptoes  "Okay all done," I say smiling before tripping and falling into Nelly "I'm sorry" I say blushing.

we haven't talked about that night it feels like we just moved on, Nelly says nothing just kisses me "Nelly" I say as I pull away "I don't want you to break my heart" I say breathing hard "I just want you Delia, I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear enough" She says making me blush as I pull her in for a kiss.