Chapter 6

We hear a gunshot "Stand and deliver" A man yells. The next thing I know George and I are crawling up to where Nelly is sitting for protection as men rush at the carriage.

"George, Delia, come on. Nell, what's going on?" Roxy says pulling George and me close "Nelly, what's happening?" I ask her "There ain't no one in here, governor, just a bunch of people's clothes" The man to our right yells as he looks through our stuff.

"Hang about," Nelly says looking at the man who I assume is running this robbery "I know you," He says ridding his horse over to talk "You do, so why not go pester someone else before I part your hair for you like I did the last time," Nelly says making me confused, she never told me about him or any man for that matter.

"And who are these three beauties?" He asks looking at all of us but lingering at me "It's that fella, Nelly?" George asks, Nelly shakes her head yes "It's the posh fella from London" George says making me see it too.

BANG

The man shoots his gun in the air "What that poor little mite trying to say?" he says "It's us Mr. Devereux" Goerge says making me smile "Yes it is you" I say smirking  "Why you dressed up so cunningly like a highwayman?" George says making him more upset.

"What these two are trying to say is, I met this fella the other day in London who you'll never believe has a remarkable resemblance to you anyone with eyes might think you was twins and, you know he even had a scar which I coulda swore blind I'd given you, him, myself," Nelly says making me giggle a little.

"Mm, curious," Nelly says shaking him down "How can you buy this handsome carriage and these four horses?" He asks as the other men still hold the guns pointed toward us "I was obliged to borrow them" Nelly says which is an obvious lie making him laugh.

"Do you know what I think?" he says Nelly shakes her head "I think you're Nelly Jackson" He says pointing at her with a little smirk and turning to his friends "Nelly Jackson, who has a 20-pound reward on her head for murder" He says laughing with his friends.

Nelly turns to us "Took me best part of 18 months to get a 20-pound reward on my hard, and this one does it overnight!"  he says laughing like it's funny Nelly turns back to him "It's all over London, this time tomorrow, It'll be up, down and sideways across the country" he says.

"Twenty pounds?" George asks Nelly as I pat her on the leg to stop asking questions at this moment "How about, governor we take the house here, and them four horses and the carriage and these Three trollops, and we turn the other one in and get the 20 pounds?" the man behind us asks his Friend as he climbs up the back of the carriage reaching for one of us. 

Nelly turns around mad "Have you learned nothing from the last time I duffed you all up?" Nelly says scaring a few of the men to back down she fake jumps down scaring two men off running away like little girls.

"he's new," Mr. Devereux says chucking "Makes sense," Nelly says standing on the top of the carriage "Go on then," Nelly says as the man climbs on the top of the carriage to fight Nelly.

He takes the first swing with Nelly blacking out all attempts to hit her, she grabs him by the back of his coat and throws him so far I had to stand up to see where he landed all of us girls look at Nelly in shock at what she just did.

"Aha, ha" we hear making us turn to see Rasselas holding a knife to Mr. Devereux's throat we all gasped not knowing what to do "Drop the pistol," Rasselas says "Rasselas!" Roxy says sounding excited.

"What do you want me to do with this one Nelly?" Rasselas asks looking stupid "What are you doing here?" Nelly asks sounding annoyed "I saved you!" he says making me roll my eyes, Nelly scoffs "Sorry you saved me? What you going on about you 'saved me'?" Nelly says.

"And Roxy, and Delia. And George" Rasselas says making Roxy and George smile "You didn't save me Nelly did" I whisper under my breath making Nell smirk and Roxy hit me in the arm "Have you been following us?" Nelly asks yelling at him "So, I was going to go my own way like you suggested but first off I'll be honest with you, boss" He says.

"I felt sad, then I got to feeling lonely and then I came over all worried about you four and... so what shall I do with this one?" He asks holding the knife as he explains his thoughts like a kid.

"Ugh I don't know, It kinda depends on whatever drivel some out of his bunghole next," Nelly says sitting down "Yeah well, Obviously I can't admit to being Charles Devereux in front of the academicians, could I?" He says taking off his mustache.

"So what happened then? you went back and trotted the scum that murdered your poor old Dad, did you?" Charles asks taking off the rest of his disguises "No, I never" Nelly says looking at me and then back at Charles.

"But that's what everyone else thinks," Nelly says "So here's an idea, you're going to get caught, and I don't know what your plan is, but based on the fact that we're standing here in broad daylight and having this conversation at all leaves me to assuming It's a bad one, I hope you're not planning on dropping the little ones off with a favorite uncle, Nell surely not that chestnut" Charles says making me and Roxy share a look of surprise.

"Well, and whatever if I was? Which I ain't" Nelly says making Charles laugh "Because that'll be the first place they'll look If you have a second cousin 10 times removed who you never once kept eyes on living in Kent they will be outside his house this time tomorrow. believe you me, 20 pounds is a lot of dust, so do you wish to hear my idea?" he asks smirking.

"Can do" Nelly says looking at her hands "You and me should team up, Nelly Jackson" He says smiling "No" Nelly says "I can help you" Charles says almost like he's begging for his life "Doubt it" Nelly says "so, like I say this time tomorrow, all the news sheets up and down the country will have your description printed all over them and not just your. Hers and hers and his and not to miss her, there won't be one safe place you can hide so what do you do, eh?" he says taking off his hat.

" where do you go? when there's nowhere to go? hu?" he says making a good point in a real stupid way, Nelly shakes her head "Did you nad any lolly when you borrowed this bone shaker?" he asks us making me smile he got the right kind of idea.