Chapter 15

They had George and me hidden behind their make shift stage "You two stay quiet and no one will hurt you" Japhia says smiling as he ties my hands and legs loosely like he is five years old.

We hear the doors open "All right I'm here" Nelly says making George look at me with hope, the doors close "Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, one and all" Amorous says standing behind the curtain looking like a tree.

"Oy, where's my sister and friend?" Nelly says getting louder "Shh" I whisper to George as she starts to move around "We have a very special treat today the hideous the vicious, the bloodthirsty, the diabolical, Nelly Jackson!" Amorous says as I hear them pulling some ropes.

"You are here to witness history, Nelly Jackson's capture and downfall by the one..." Amorous says as they pull up the curtain "George stay hidden, maybe they'll forget us" I whisper as I shimmy to my left "The only..." Amorous say.

"The handsome, the heroic, the magnificent, the masterful, the prodigy, the genius, the virtuoso... Japhia" Japhis says making his big entrance, then struggling to get up "To bring you today's very special performance, a scheme has been concocted an exchange Nell Jackson for her little sister and her lover," he says making me cringe at the fact he knows.

"Yeah. where are they then?" Nelly asks sounding annoyed with his antics "Must you with hot irons burn out both mine eyes" He says scaring George "It's fine no one will hurt us" I whisper as she hugs me.

"I must. Must" He says making the audience gasp "I don't want to get hurt," George says making me feel like I might cry "Come on you two" Amorous says pushing us both onto stage "George, Delia" Nelly says walking up to us, Japhia grabs the hot iron "Stay still" He says.

He holds it up in the air threatening to burn both George and me "Put that down and I'll do whatever you want " Nelly says looking me in the eyes "You lucky people are about to witness not just the capture but also the rightful execution of one of the monsters of our age" Japhia says.

He grabs my arm and pulls me closer to the hot rod "I didn't do none of the things you are accusing me of I'm not-" Nelly says getting cut off by Japhia "What You are is beside the point It's what they perceive you to be I kill you and I'm a hero" He says sounding like a crazy man.

"Jackson's cup contains poison we'll toast to her demise," he says as he pushes me into Amorous and hands him the hot iron rod, George stands beside me to my left "It doesn't matter how strong or fast the demon inside you is, Nelly Jackson I doubt it can save you from hemlock you drink yourself," Japhia says moving around stuff on stage.

I look over at Nelly to see she's talking to herself as she looks at the cups, fuck how is she going to serve this "Poison? That old chestnut" Nelly says making me laugh "Boo" Polly Yells out from the crowd "It's a classic" Japhia says making me laugh more.

"Well, these folk will tell people what you've done and you'll get a noose," Nelly says making me smile "It all depends on the spin, don't it," Japhia says before getting blinded with light "And them papers, they don't like you," He says trying to defend himself.

"I ain't done nothing wrong," Nelly says getting louder "I am sick of seeing your face in every paper every page, your face where mine should be you'll be dead and I'll be known, turn out that light" He says before yelling at the pregnant girl working the light.

"Oh dear, the great Japhia looks a little sweaty to me don't you think," Nelly says making me laugh "Burn the ugly hag," He says turning to us, the man grabs my arm bringing the hot rod down "Burn the mite's eyes as well," He says, as Amorous burns my arm "Ahh" I yell out as I feel my skin cooking under the heat "she was already ugly, to begin with," He says as amorous lets me go as I fall to the floor and grabs George.