Chapter 9

"It isn't all bad being on the run," George says lying down with Roxy and me as we lay with our feet in the water on the dock "I don't miss working in the hot sweaty laundry all day," Roxy says making me agree  "But I do miss all the gossip," I say making us giggle.

 "I wonder how Nelly got to fighting like that? Do you think Captain Jackson, looking after her from beyond?" George says making me confused "It's something, I've seen it," Roxy says making me turn my head to see if she was lying "How?" George and I ask at the same time "I don't know" Roxy says making me spectacle.

"Oh? What's it look like?" George asks sitting up, making me look at her "I don't know" Roxy says trying to end the conversation "Well, what've you seen?" George says smiling as Roxy sits up.

"Well, it's like... an aura and it's good well it feels good and I don't know that Captain Jackson was any good" Roxy says making George sad, I sit up and see Lady Wilmont and her men riding in on their horses.

"Isn't that, Lady Wilmont?" George asks "They must know we're here," I say staying low so they don't spot up "How?" George asks looking at me "They not stopping here they must know Nell is gone to the Manor!" Roxy says as we both stand up "How?" George asks for a second time.

"There are too many of them what are we gonna do?" Roxy says making her and George freak out "Look we stay calm We ride, find Rasselas, and then I'll think of the next part when we find him, okay" I say trying to calm them down.

"But what about Nell?" George says "Have you seen Nelly lately she will be fine we just have to find her" I say helping George onto our horse.

"Rasselas, some men came this way with Lady Sofia," I say dismounting the horse and helping George and Roxy off "I know, I know they went in there, but-" Rassels says getting cut off by Nelly "Get in the carriage!" she yells running over with Charles looking like shit.

"Get in the carriage, now!" she screams as we all run to get in the carriage fracking out and confused, "No, dev, you take the horse!" She yells as Georg Roxy and I climb into the carriage "We will be fine George" I say Trying to keep her calm.

Trying to hold onto anything around me as we're shaken all about, we hear shots from behind us. We all exchanged confused looks as we held on for a turn making George fall into me she hugged my arm as I looked out the window to see men following us with their pistols.

Roxy joined us as we all hugged each other in fear as we heard shots fired, a man was on my side of the carriage holding onto the outside making us all scream, he claimed up to the top of the carriage and we heard him and Nelly fighting then we saw him fall off and hit the ground. 

George opened one of the compartments and pulled out a box "What are you doing?" I ask fracking out when she opens the box I see two pistoles I grade one "Roxy get the other one" I say before opening up my window and looking out "Come on" I hear George say To Roxy as she hands her the gun.

I aim my gun Next thing I know, I Hear George Scream making me turn around And gasp "George" Roxy says as we both look at her wondering what to do. I take one of Nelly's clean shirts and hold it against the wound "Get Nelly, Roxy" I Yell starting to cry.

"Nell! Nelly! Nelly! Nelly! George's been shot!" Roxy yells out the window as I Try to stop George from Bleeding out.

Nelly, Roxy, George, and I are all sitting in the carriage, Nelly had George's head in her lap as she held pressure to her wound as Roxy and I set on the floor worried "All this rocking about is upsetting her" Roxy says worried.

"We need as much distance between us and them as we can get," Nelly says making me worried, "where are we going?" I ask "I don't know," Nelly says looking me in the eyes as I wipe my tears  "Am I going to die?" George asks Nelly.

"No," Nelly says, we hit a bump and it makes George gasp in pain as she holds my hand after a while I feel us stop Nelly sits George up and looks around outside as we sit in the carriage.

"It'll all be fine George like my mom used to say if there is no lily of the valley and only iris all will be good," I say holding pressure on her wound "Thanks Delia" She whispers. 

We walked into the house left still after the plug that wiped out the people Roxy and I worked on making a fire while Nelly looked for something to help George "Here, it's brandy from the fishing fellow " Rasselas says walking in and handing the bottle to Nelly.

She opens it and smells it "It's good I had a nip, what do you want me to do with this" He asks holding up a pell of water as Nelly takes a swig of the alcohol "Boil it," Nelly says " And then what,?" Roxy asks looking confused.

"Then we're gonna scrub this table clean We're gonna lift her onto it, and then I'm gonna get the bullet out," Nelly says making me confused "How?" I ask "I've seen it done," Nelly says making me worried.

"Yeah, how?" Roxy asks "Have a nip of this, littlun. Go on" Nelly says handing George the alcohol and having her drink it "That's It" Nelly says "I don't like it" George says trying to hand the bottle back "I Know but it will take the pain off" Nelly says.

"Not all of it, "Roxy says as I walk over to check on the water "It will help," Nelly says walking away from Roxy "She needs a proper surgeon she needs someone who knows what they're doing" Roxy yells at Nelly "I know what I'm doing," Nelly says "you don't know nothing you're the big noodle that got us in this fix" Roxy yells.

"Yeah well I'm the big noo-noodle that's going to get us out of it" Nelly yells back "This ain't no good for George all this shouting," I say as Nelly gives Roxy a look before going back to searching the house more "I'm alright thanks, Delia," George says making me smile.

"Yeah, I've told you before seen more bullet wounds than you've had hot dinners," Nelly says turning around "Yeah but you ain't fixed them" Roxy yells clearly frustrated "I have I've helped, well I've observed. Look, this is nothing well, now I know it won't feel like nothing to you, George but, seriously there ain't no vital organs up there. All your kidneys, lungs, liver, bowels, soul, and such. Much farther South it's just muscle and sinews it's just a case of jigging the thing out..." Nelly says making us all sit in shock.

"And letting it heal. Yeah?" Nelly says patting George on the non-hurt side.

I walked outside after Nelly finished up to get some fresh air "Hey, you okay?" I Hear Nelly ask from behind me making me turn around "Yeah is George good?" I ask looking down "She good for now," Nelly says putting her hand on my face and making me look at her.

"It's not your fault, " Nelly says making me cry and hug her "I feel so bad I told her not to help," I say between sobs as Nelly rubs my back "I'm sorry," I say as Nelly wipes the tears off my face claiming me down a little "I don't blame you, Delia, it was an accident and if you weren't there it could have been worse," Nelly says trying to make me feel better.

"Thanks, Nelly," I say with a small smile "George will be fine if you are still worried tomorrow we can go find a doctor," Nelly says making me breathe a sigh of relief I look up at her as she smirked "God Nelly," I said laughing as she pulled me close.

"Your sister almost died tonight," I say with a smile "Almost and you make me feel less worried so just kiss me already," she says smiling as I Pull her in "Come on you need your sleep after today," I say as I pull away taking her hand and braging her to get some sleep.