Chapter 5

Roxy, George, and I were sitting in the woods waiting for Nelly to come back she said she had something to do and walked out that's all she told us girls "How much longer?" George asks whining "I'm sure she won't take much longer," I say rubbing her back and feeling bored as well.

"I can count the leaves from the trees I can see individual items" George yells as she looks up at the leaves, the rest of us are going through the stuff Nelly stole "I don't like going through other people's things," Roxy says closing the trunk she was looking at.

"Listen I'm not happy pilfering other people's stuff I'm not happy to be in the position where I have to pilfer other people's stuff," Nelly says walking around picking up things, and walking them over to me "Cheese! who wants some cheese" Rasselas yells.

"Can I have some cheese?" George asks "Oh me too," I say "Yes! Of course, it's ours now and I did apologize to them" Nelly says as Goerge and I walk over to get the cheese "I did explain that I was in a tight spot through no fault of my own and with mouths to feed and I was just...I was redistributing some wealth" Nelly continues.

"What did they say?" I ask her looking up as I sit with the girls "Not a lot," she says not even looking at me "Hey pass me some," I say looking at George making her giggle "Don't waste your sorrows on them, Roxy These people have more stuff than they know what to do with you know what vulgar? Why does one man need 10 pairs of pants... " Rasselas says as he keeps on talking making me almost fall asleep.

"while another man, not three feet away has to walk down the streets with his bottom cheeks hanging out of his galligaskins," Rasselas says making me giggle at the end "If the world was a better place, the world was a fairer place none of this would be happing," Nelly says looking at Roxy.

"I know. I know that " Roxy says "I want to go home" George says "Me too" I say agreeing with her "I've been thinking about what to do and none of yous lot has done anything wrong, so in a good world -" Nelly starts but gets cut off by Rasselas "I have I've prigged this prancer off His Lordship that's a one-way trip to the three-legged mare if ever there was one" he says pretending to be hung making Roxy and I laugh.

"And I know it's not in the same league as what you did- didn't do but. Just saying I'll doing the Tyburn jig, same as you if they get ahold of me" Rasselas says trying to sound cool "Yeah and I was talking to these three so, I'll deal with you in a minute" Nelly says making hand sighs for him to move " Get out" she says as he doesn't get the hint.

"Oh," he says getting up and walking off "In a good world I'd find a magistrate who might listen to the truth but in the real world that's not gonna happen so, now I've got some vittles down my gullet and I can think straight, what I think we should do.." Nelly says before turning to see if Rasselas is listening.

"Is head out west via the back lanes and the tracks less well-tord then I'm going to drop yous three off at Uncle Jacks in Abingdon" Nelly says trying to get them excited for the trip "Is Uncle Jack in Abingdon a real person?" George asked us.

"Yeah of course," I say trying to reassure her "He's Dads's baby brother," Roxy says giving me a look that only means she thinks this is a shit plan "What about you Nell? What are you going to do?" George asks the question we all wanted to ask.

"Chances are once word gets out about this latest caper they'll think we're on the north road so if we was to light out west that would put us ahead of the game and once I've dropped you lot off in Abingdon.." Nelly says whispering as she looks back at Rasselas one last time.

"I'll leg into Bristol, sneak onboard a packet, and sail to America," Nelly says taking me by surprise she is just going to leave us all "America?" George asks exsided, "America?" I ask confused "Shh, what? Yes," Nelly says giving me a look all I could only see in her eyes was worry.

"Once I've got settled and I've made something of myself, I'm going to send for you," Nelly says whispering still "What about him" I ask confused "Who? Yeah, of course. Give me a minute" Nelly says getting up "I need a word with you, kid. Over here" Nelly yells at Rasselas as they walk off to talk.

"You look real good with those spectacles on," I tell George smiling as I pull out her baby hairs "Doesn't she," Roxy says leaning on my back as we look at her "You two are weird," George says making us laugh as she eats some more cheese giggling.

I stand up and grade my favorite dress" Do you think this dress will look good on me" I say holding up a red gown "Oh I just love that Delia you will look so good, " Roxy says smiling as I do a spin still holding up the dress "Oh how lovely" George says clapping making me giggle at the girl's actions.

"He needs to make his mark on the world, and Rasselas can't do that if he's tiddling about with us, can he? No. he needs to do what he can with his life while he has an opportunity" Nelly says trying to make Roxy feel better because we left him.

"But I liked him," Roxy says as George and I lay on top of the carriage and look up "I liked him," Nelly says shrugging "I liked him," George says sitting up "I didn't like him but he was nice to have around," I say sitting up.

"Yeah, but I mean... you know I liked him," she says looking at Nelly. Nelly looks mad at this "Yeah well that's kinda mush is a luxury we can't afford right now and It'd be nothing but an inconvenience and chances, you know these things It's not often both sides feel the same way I don't want to see you with your heart broke" Nelly says making me look at her with the last part.

"He did. He did like me. He told me so" Roxy says smiling "Did he indeed?" I ask wanting to know more "That's mighty inappropriate he should've kept that It to himself," Nelly says making me giggle I missed older sister Nelly Jackson.

"Also, I suspect he's probably about eight- 10 years older than you," Nelly says looking back at me for help "Well, three. Three years older than me, that's all" Roxy says "And same" Nelly says making George and me laugh at the fighting.

"You aren't my mother!" Roxy says trying to defend herself "No, nor would I wish to be, I've never seen anyone move so fast," Nelly says "Hey I like someone who is two years older than me," I say trying to help Roxy out "Not helping," Nelly say as we all go quiet.

"So when have you been having all these in-depth conversations then?" Nelly asks Roxy ignoring what I said "Here and there along the way, "Roxy says just wanting the conversation to end "mm-hmm," I say playing with them both.

I lay down put my hands up to block the sun and start to ignore the conversation altogether and just look at the flowers as we pass them "Who's been kissing" George asks hitting my arm for me to pay attention "Oh so you were kissing" I say teasing her "She and Reasselas" Nelly says smiling ear to ear as her and Roxy turning back to look a George and I"No one" Roxy says turning back around bickering some more.

"Oh look George," I say pointing out the flowers on the side of the road "Oh they are so pink," She says hugging my arm in excitement "Look these are yellow," she says pointing at the ones on her side "Yeah almost as pretty as you," I say making her smile at me.

BANG

We hear a gunshot "Stand and deliver" A man yells next thing I know George and I are crawling up to where Nelly sitting for protection as men rush at the carriage.