3

Author's POV (Continued from last part)

"Um, Anjali," he began, his voice faltering slightly, "I... I just wanted to say... I love you... like a friend. You know, like how buddies care for each other."

Geetanjali's brows furrowed in confusion, and Aaransh could see the disappointment flicker in her eyes. But he quickly pressed on, hoping to cover up his true feelings.

"I mean, you're like the coolest friend ever, and I really cherish our friendship, you know?" he babbled, trying to divert her attention from his slip-up.

Geetanjali nodded slowly, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips. "Yeah, Aaransh, you're pretty cool too," she replied, her tone a mix of amusement and affection.

Relieved that he had managed to salvage the situation, Aaransh smiled back, inwardly cursing himself for his cowardice. But he pushed aside his feelings, knowing that now wasn't the time to confess his love.

As they walked along the dimly lit streets, Aaransh couldn't shake the sense of unease that gnawed at him from within. He knew he had to let Geetanjali go, to respect her decision to stay committed to someone else. But it didn't make it any easier to bear.

When they reached Geetanjali's house, she turned to him with a gentle smile. "Thanks for walking me home, Aaransh," she said softly. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

Aaransh nodded, his throat constricted with unspoken words. "Yeah, see you tomorrow," he replied, forcing a smile as he watched her disappear into the darkness.

As he made his way back to his own house, Aaransh's mind was filled with thoughts of Geetanjali. He couldn't shake the feeling that he was losing her, bit by bit, with each passing day.

Meanwhile, Geetanjali slumped back onto her bed, her mind swirling with conflicting emotions. She couldn't deny the flutter of excitement that had coursed through her veins when Aaransh had confessed his feelings. But she knew she couldn't betray Saiyyam, not after everything their families had sacrificed to bring them together.

She kicked off her shoes and made her way to her room, the events of the evening swirling in her mind like a tempest. The weight of her unspoken feelings for Aaransh hung heavy on her heart, dragging her down into a sea of uncertainty.

Collapsing onto her bed, Geetanjali let out a heavy sigh, her thoughts consumed by the tangled web of emotions that threatened to engulf her.

She reached out to her bedside table, her fingers brushing against the stack of rings that adorned her fingers. Among them, nestled between her fingers, was the ring that Saiyyam had given her – a simple band of gold, devoid of any emotion or meaning.

As she stared at the ring, Geetanjali felt a pang of guilt wash over her. She knew she should feel grateful for the life that awaited her – the stable job, the comfortable home, the loving husband-to-be. But instead, all she felt was a sense of emptiness, a longing for something she couldn't quite name.

Closing her eyes, Geetanjali let herself drift back in time, to the days when life was simpler, when love was just a distant dream. She remembered the way Aaransh would look at her, his eyes filled with an intensity that both scared and thrilled her.

But she also remembered the barriers that stood between them – the expectations of their families, the obligations of their society. She couldn't deny the pull she felt towards Aaransh, but she knew that she had to put her duty above her desires.

With a heavy heart, Geetanjali forced herself to push aside her thoughts of Aaransh, to focus on the life that lay ahead of her. She had made her choice, and she couldn't afford to falter now, not when so much was at stake.

Days passed, and Geetanjali found herself avoiding Aaransh at every turn, her heart heavy with guilt and regret. But try as she might, she couldn't erase the image of his pained expression from her mind.

As the farewell day approached, Geetanjali's inner turmoil reached its peak. She knew she had to distance herself from Aaransh, but the conflicting emotions bubbling within her threatened to consume her.

When Aaransh confronted her in the hallway, demanding answers, Geetanjali's frustration boiled over.

"Why are you bothering me, Aaransh?" she snapped, her voice sharp with anger. "Can't you see that I'm trying to move on with my life? I don't have time for your childish antics."

Aaransh recoiled at her harsh words, hurt flashing in his eyes. "But Anjali, I thought... I thought we had something special," he stammered, his voice wavering.

Geetanjali scoffed, her tone dripping with disdain. "Special? You and me? Don't make me laugh," she spat, her fists clenching at her sides. "You're just a junior, Aaransh. You need to learn your place and respect your seniors."

With each word, Geetanjali's anger grew, fueled by her own inner turmoil. She knew she was being unfair to Aaransh, but she couldn't bear the thought of facing her own feelings.

As Aaransh tried to speak, Geetanjali cut him off, her voice rising with each word. "I belong to someone else, Aaransh," she practically shouted, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I'm happy, okay? I'm happy with Saiyyam, and I don't need you complicating things."

Before Aaransh could respond, Geetanjali turned on her heel and stormed away, leaving him standing alone in the hallway, his heart shattered into a million pieces.

As Aaransh attempted to speak, Geetanjali cut him off, her voice rising with each syllable. "I belong to someone else, Aaransh," she practically shouted, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "I'm happy, okay? I'm happy with Saiyyam, and I don't need you complicating things."

Before Aaransh could respond, Geetanjali turned abruptly and stormed away, leaving him standing alone in the hallway, his heart fractured.

Yet, as Geetanjali retreated to a secluded corner, her heart ached with remorse. She knew she had pushed Aaransh away too harshly, her own pain overshadowing his feelings.

Moments later, as she attempted to collect herself, Aaransh appeared before her, his presence both surprising and unsettling. Without a word, he pulled her gently into the shadows, away from prying eyes.

Geetanjali's breath caught in her throat as she met his intense gaze, her heart racing with uncertainty. Before she could protest, Aaransh closed the distance between them, his lips capturing hers in a fervent kiss.

At first, Geetanjali resisted, her mind clouded with confusion. But as Aaransh poured his emotions into the kiss, she felt her resolve crumble, her own longing surfacing like a tidal wave.

In that fleeting moment of intimacy, the world fell away, leaving only their shared connection. Yet, as the kiss lingered, Geetanjali's heart ached with the weight of her decision.

Breaking the embrace, she pulled away, tears glistening in her eyes. "I'm sorry, Aaransh," she whispered, her voice barely audible. "But I can't... I can't be with you. I have to go."

With those words hanging in the air, Geetanjali turned and walked away, leaving Aaransh standing alone in the shadows, his heart heavy with the weight of unspoken truths.

And as he stood there alone, the echoes of her words ringing in his ears, Aaransh realized that he had lost her once again, just like he had all those years ago.

But this time, there was no going back. This time, he had to let her go, for good.

TBC