02 | Death

MADAM BIMBO'S FLOOZIE brothel always had many people swarming around the entrance and inside of the shabby enterprise

MADAM BIMBO'S FLOOZIE brothel always had many people swarming around the entrance and inside of the shabby enterprise. A hard woman who made a living from bringing in the slum girls and turning them into an advantage to her pocket. But she treated them right, as right as a woman who ran a dirty business could, except for when they were in the hands of her customers. Then she would not meddle. 

This was the place where useless men, some single and married, came to satisfy their filthy urges. The women themselves became hustlers, trying to survive by making money in the way they were taught how. Once or twice Madam Bimbo would get girls from Akintoye and his crew after they had deemed them good enough to keep for their benefit.

So somewhere in Lagos’ dark corners evil happened. Another norm of the day in this part of the country. Nobody could blame them because the country wasn't trying to help them either.

The brothel also served as a mini club where drinks were passed and illicit drugs were exchanged at every corner.

Madam Bimbo attended to Akintoye in the makeshift VIP area secluded away from all the noise. The crew came in at the early hours of the morning after all the ransom money had been received, drank and burned money on the girls to their satisfaction creating a buzzing uproar in the building that only they could. Everyone had left except Akin who sat at the same spot drinking glass after glass of beer. It was his way of not feeling, he had to become numb in order to not hate himself.

“You are not liking any of my flavors?” Madam Bimbo asked, not referring to drinks.

Akintoye's mind went back to what he had done to that lady. Her dead open eyes with dried tears. The memory was replaced with another familiar face in the same position. She was fair and beautiful, young and full of life, eyes filled with sadness. She too had her innocence taken by a monster and he couldn't do anything about it.

He had become the same person he feared. Akintoye felt angry with himself, he wanted to die but was too much of a coward to grant himself that easy escape.

Madam Bimbo worried about his silence. She feared he harbored too many things in his heart that can cause any sane man to go mad. Sort of like a ticking time bomb, she was trying to defuse before time ran out. After all she was the one to find him that day with the girl in his arms already dead. She took him in and brought him up as hers, in her own environment.

She wanted better for him because he didn't deserve to see more hardship in his life given all he'd already been through. However, the boy had seen too much to go back to normal, he was scarred and not knowing how to manage that has turned him into the alternate person he promised years ago not to be.

A man who ripped the lives of people. Maybe as a sick form to make up for what he endured in his childhood.

“I'm not in the mood, Bo.” His voice came out gruff, “What I need is another bottle of club or something stronger this time. Why are you serving me children's drink eh? I saw all those hard bottles back there,” he lazily lifted his arm to point back, “I need those ones.”