11 | Antsy

‭‭Romans 7:14-15
So the trouble is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin. I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate.

"ARE YOU REALLY not going to let me in on what's going on? It's been two days and I'm worried about you. I used to tell you that your own kindness is too much. Who do you know in this day and age that lets strangers stay with them at their own expense, in this Nigeria? None. You're carrying this whole holy holy matter on your head o. Even Jesus no do this one. Now you're the one coming to me to borrow money," Ogechi said, forcing herself to talk below a whisper. The clock read five am on a Monday morning as the girls sat in the living room discussing Naomi's decisions.

Ogechi was dressed in a nightgown which belonged to her sister after deciding on Saturday to spend the weekend instead with her sister. Naomi herself was dressed in her usual scrubs ready for her early morning shift at the hospital. It was difficult for her to hide her weary expression from her sister as she thought about her rash actions the previous week. Ogechi's pestering about how naive she was by sacrificing even her bed for a man started that Saturday night when she brought out an old mattress, two pillows and blankets for them to sleep on the couch and floor respectively.

"Oge, is all this because I'm asking you for a common one thousand naira? If so then leave it abeg, I'll manage on my own. The month will soon end so I'll be expecting my salary sooner than you think," She said in defiance, not one to grovel or beg for something despite how much she needed it. Her bank account was completely spent leaving nothing tangible to work with. She desperately needed that money to enter motorbike or else she'll be forced to walk all the way to the hospital to have enough money to return in the evening, or vice versa.

Ogechi wasn't new to her sister's guilt tripping. "Oya now, since you don't need it, that's fine." She folded her arms around her chest, watching Naomi try to hide her disappointment. "That's all, right? You'll be back before seven pm."

Naomi slowly got up, grabbed her bag and hunched it over shoulder in resignation. She forced a nonchalant look. "Yes. Thank you for agreeing to stay and watch Lucius while I'm out. I drew up an itinerary for him, please don't do anything outside of those activities."

"Is he a baby? You're treating him like he'll break or something." At the sight of Naomi trying to talk back she said, "It's okay, it's okay, I'll follow the itinerary to the dot. Now go or you'll be late."

Naomi turned to leave.

"Aren't you forgetting something?"

Naomi frowned. "What?"

Ogechi slipped out a one thousand naira note from the bag beside her on the couch and folded it into her sister's palm. "Stubbornness will be the end of you." Naomi's face split into a big smile.

"Thanks. I love you, see you this evening." She didn't wait for a response before leaving. Ogechi was certainly securing her share in her incoming salary. Ogechi sighed, swallowed by the silence that weighed on her in the small room. Sleep eluded her so she decided to examine the itinerary Naomi came up with.

Number one. Don't let him walk on his own. If he's to go anywhere you'll have to assist him.

Number two. There's a basin and cloth you can use to wipe him up in the morning. It's either that or helping him to shower. (I don't think you'll be cut out for that).