03 | Pushed to the wall

HE WAS OUT of breath, chest rising and falling without a break after running for hours till night time

HE WAS OUT of breath, chest rising and falling without a break after running for hours till night time. A while back he had a close call with one of the crew members armed with a knife consequently sustaining cuts on his arm and cheek. Akin was able to lose him by using a rock to hit his head hard but it left him more tired, hungry, and injured which if exposed for too long would cause an infection.

Fortunately for him there was a house up ahead. It wasn't fenced, and the backyard faced the bush. There he saw a little girl squatted as she played with baby chicks. She was too young but Akintoye was desperate for a place to rest and treat his wounds if possible.

He took out the gun from his torso, crept quietly through the bushes until he was behind the girl who luckily hadn't noticed him.

Akin covered her mouth first before lifting her from the ground. The arm he used hurt a lot at the moment, but what he could do was endure until he'd gotten what he came for. 

It was her first time seeing a gun in real life aside from the movies she watched. He placed his index finger on his lips as a sign for her to be quiet. “Call your father,” he instructed.

The little girl shook her head frantically.

“Call him!” Again, she shook her head.

“I'm going to let go of my hand,” he whispered, “but if you scream or do anything stupid to alert anyone I'll shoot you, understand?” She nodded her head so he withdrew his hand.

“My daddy…my daddy, he is not home yet. Shop. He is at the shop.”

“Mommy?”
She nodded.

“Let me go and call her.” The little girl made to walk away but he pulled her back.

“Shout her name here.”

“Mommy!” She screamed loudly in a manner that alerted danger. A mother always felt this instinct kick in to tell her when her child was in trouble, she just knew it. The mistake her mother made was walking in blindly. Her mind couldn't go far to predict such a scenario so maybe she thought her child had injured herself or fallen down but not that she was being held at gunpoint.

Her mother who was in the kitchen, finishing with her soup for dinner and after putting water on fire to boil, left whatever she was doing growing anxious by the way her daughter called out to her.

“Mommy! Hel—”

“That’s enough!” Akin clamped his hand on her mouth again. “Since when did little children start growing wings?” He hissed at her attempts to bite his hand which was too big. It covered her face like a nose mask.

Her mother came out only to be ambushed by Akin who pointed his gun at her. He flicked the gun twice as a sign for her to go inside quietly. Dragging her daughter he kept a steady grip on the gun pointed, his whole body hurt and his muscles were weak however Akin had to be smart so he wouldn't give out a sign of weakness lest anything stupid happens.