15| Enemies

‭Psalms 27:5 NLT‬

For he will conceal me there when troubles come; he will hide me in his sanctuary. He will place me out of reach on a high rock.

"There's a bus approaching." A man said. He had run from a distance, hiding behind the bushes in the night to relay the information to them. Six men huddled on the ground assorting weapons and bringing out ropes and sacks for the work ahead of them.

White nodded. "Blue and ash, go and place the road blocker quickly. No waste time." White loaded his gun, cocked it and secured it carefully in his torso. "The rest of you get ready to seize the people. I don't want anyone running away, am I clear? Black will stick with me till we lead them deep into the bush where our own bus will be."

Black went to hide with White. Everyone waited with anticipation for the bus to arrive.

"Anything?" White asked without taking his eyes off the road.

Black shook his head. "No one has seen the body. They'll keep looking-"

White was really angry. He squeezed the weapon in his hand. "He took Red away from us, man. He was our brother. We need his body for justice. In front of everyone we'll chop off his body and make his screams appease Red's dead soul. That's the only way for the people to be satisfied."

"But Lady Bo pleaded that we make it quick. You know she took him as a son."

"And he betrayed us!" White raised his voice.

"Shut up or you'll give us away," Black covered his mouth. He jerked his hand away when White licked his palm. "Disgusting."

"He killed one of our own and I don't care what Lady Bo thinks. I'm getting revenge for all of us. Let the spies continue their search."

"Pass that aggression to the mission."

The bus driver had stopped in front of the road blocker. They watched as the people in the bus slept peacefully. White gave the signal to one of his guys who stealthily went towards the driver and shot him. His body fell and everyone in the bus started panicking upon hearing the loud bang. White and his men surrounded the bus. Some tried to jump through the window and were unsuccessful.

"Get down!" Black hit the bus, pointing his gun at the shaking individuals. About twenty people got out, all seized with fear that they couldn't talk. Except one man who thought he could be brave and outsmart them.

"I'll give you money! I...I have money. Please just name your price and let me go."

The men exchanged looks.

"Where?" Blue asked, his voice muffled by the mask he wore.

"In my luggage. I can show you."

White walked up to him and pointed his gun on his forehead. The man gulped but held his ground. White smirked. "Show me."

They went back to the boot where after searching with a torch the man found his luggage. Secured in a black polythene bag were wads of cash starting from five hundred naira notes and above. "You can take everything, and let me go."

White nodded and handed the money to Black.

"Go."

The people watched in envy as the man leaped for joy, grabbed his bag and started running in the opposite direction. He didn't care that he had no idea where to go in the dark as long as he was able to return to his family at home.