07 | A miracle

‭‭John 4:48
Jesus asked, "Will you never believe in me unless you see miraculous signs and wonders?"

HAVE YOU EVER had an experience that felt so vivid in your imagination, you were so sure it happened because it's just at the back of your mind but somehow, it felt like it never happened? How do you explain that to people?

Bright lights, sounds of nurses and doctors running about, the sharp smell of detergent mixed with drugs and something sickly welcomed Akintoye Lucius a week later. Yes, a week. It was nothing short of a miracle that he was alive.

He pried his eyes open, scanning around before he started panicking. He had many questions running through his mind. Where am I? What happened? How did I get here? What happened to the light he saw, the voice and Sunny? He tried to remove the catheter connected to his veins, however the thought of pulling the needle thing out of his body made him recoil back.

"What are you doing?" A feminine voice stopped him when he was about to get off the bed in his hospital gown. The lady dropped a small metallic tray on a desk beside his bed. "Please lie back down," she tried to gently lead him back to the bed.

"No. Don't touch me!" He slapped her hands away and pushed her. The lady accidentally dragged the contents on the desk as she stumbled, so everything came crashing down on the floor. "I want to go home! I want my mommy!" He started shouting, his body shaking violently. "I have to go help Sunny."

The lady was scared of the man before her. With her shaking hands she pressed the button on the emergency remote to alert the other workers of the situation. Soon two security men, a doctor and three nurses came rushing into the room. The lady had grazed her hand on glass so her hand was bleeding, but that wasn't her main concern. "He's hyperventilating!"

"I want to go home! Don't touch me," Akin pushed the nurses who were trying to sedate him away. "Where's my sister? I want my sister here now."

"What are you standing there for? Hold him down." The doctor instructed the security men who quickly scurried to pin him down on the bed. Akintoye trashed around, kicking his legs and shouting incoherent words. Two nurses held his leg down and the other went to help the lady up on her feet. The doctor didn't waste time grabbing the syringe and sedating the wild patient.

Within two minutes he was out like a light. Everyone was relieved. The doctor took out his handkerchief to wipe the sweat on his forehead. "Where's his chart?" Nurse Joana, one of the nurses who held his leg, handed him the chart she found scattered on the ground.

The information on it was not enough to work with. He was alert and responsive on arrival with a heart rate of one hundred and twenty beats per minute and a systolic blood pressure of about a hundred and thirty eight mmHg. He came in with three bullet wounds. One to the back, shoulder blade and leg. His medical records showed no allergies, treatment plans or anything sustainable. Only that upon arrival the nurses performed debridement, sufficient fasciotomy, complete drainage of the wound and sterile dressing.

A sample of tests run on his urine showed ample amounts of harmful drugs in his bloodstream which affected his condition. Diagnostic imaging was performed to analyze the bullet shots and he had a blood transfusion from a name he was familiar with. His progressive notes for the day showed that he had shown signs of regaining consciousness.

It was a brutal case and the doctor also wondered how Akin was still alive. "Who brought him in?"

Nurse Joana and Nurse Patricia were busy tidying up the room. Patricia looked up. "It was nurse Naomi, doc. She's injured now. Nurse Ezra has taken her to get her bleeding hands checked."