Chapter 6: Day of Firsts

The day has finally come, my first day of med school. I'm so excited, I don't think I've ever been this excited in my life. I've picked out the perfect outfit, a dress suit with a skirt that goes right below my knee and a matching blazer. I've decided to wear my long black hair up in curls and pinned tightly. Winter is fast approaching, but we still have some nice weather in the afternoons so I think I will be warm enough. Father had demanded Dominic drive me to school, despite my complaints. I want to keep a low profile, but my father's 1937 Mercedes Benz screams luxury and power. I also have to drive with Junior today, something else I'm not looking forward to. I haven't seen him since that night in my room, and I still have no idea what either one of us was thinking.

   I make my way through the large mansion to the main door

   I make my way through the large mansion to the main door. Sarah is there waiting for me with a new bag my father has bought for me to hold my school supplies. She is beaming at me, I can see the tears in her eyes. I guess it's natural considering she's been with me since I was adopted. After she hands me the bag, she embraces me in a huge hug which catches me by surprise. I've never had a mother to hold me during these times, and the Don is not very comforting with emotional things. I hug her back and step out into the bright sun. Dominic is waiting in the car for me, and Junior is already there too. It seems so surreal stepping out into the giant square lot surrounded by flowers and bushes. They are slowly starting to die as the weather changes, but some are holding out strong. They stand upright in defiance of the elements, reaching for the sky as high as they can. The flowers give me hope for the day to come.

   As I approach the all black car, seek and modern, Dominic holds the door open for me to slide in next to Junior. He looks really good. His hair is slicked back and he is dressed in a half suit, everything except the matching jacket. His hazel eyes shine in the sun acting as a contradiction to the stoic look on his face. As I adjust myself into the car seat, he shifts over so his body is hugging the door, as far away from me as possible. I make a little huff and cross my legs to take up more room. Today is my day, and he won't ruin it for me. Honestly, I don't think he would even be here if my father didn't make him. Dominic starts to drive off as we sit in silence, until Junior finally speaks up.

   "Nastasia, you look well today," he says. I jump a little at his sudden attempt at conversation.

   "Thank you," I say in response, "You look different today as well." I just couldn't choke out a compliment.

   "Are you ready for today? There's going to be a lot of people, more than you're used to."

   "Don't you mean a lot of women for you to bed?" His concern for me seems feigned. It annoys me. He laughs at my response, shaking his head at me. Finally, he stops and looks at me for the first time since that night.

   "I mean it, Nastasia. Your classes will have at least eleven people each, and the building will be swarmed with other students. I want to make sure you'll be okay. Father has told me to keep an eye on you, and since we have no classes together, I need to know you're ready for this." He seems almost sincere, but all it does is piss me off more.