Chapter 11: The First Date

It's been three days since Junior's injury. I'm not sure if he apologized to Sarah, but she has been tending to him nonetheless. I only checked on him the night it happened. I felt bad knowing he was in pain, but don't blame Sarah one bit for letting him deal with it on his own. They seem to have smooth things over for now though, and Junior is back to his usual self. Tonight is our first date, the first mutual one anyway. I have no idea where we are going, but Junior decided to pick out my outfit for me. It's a long burgundy dress that hugs my body close with thin straps and a long slit up my side. It's very unconventional in my opinion, and too cold outside to actually wear it. He was persistent that the dress was perfect, so I agreed to it. I'm definitely going to be wearing a blazer over top of it though. He was also very particular about how I wear my hair, straight down so it falls over my shoulders.

   Based on his choice of attire I'm assuming he's taking me somewhere nice. It will be public too so that's a plus. There will be too many people for Junior to play his normal game of cat and mouse, me being the mouse of course running away from his foul words. I'm worried about his mood tonight, especially after everything that happened with father. I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't worried about him raising his hand to Sarah. I can tolerate a lot of things it seems, but an abusive husband is not one of them. So much happened so quickly, I really thought Winter Break would be a drag. However, today is the first day back and it feels like I barely had time to blink.

   When I woke up this morning I felt a small sliver of excitement thinking about getting back into classes. I enjoy the routine, and I also enjoy being around Michael. It feels like it's been so long since I've heard him chuckle at the most random time. I paid extra attention to my outfit today for class, knowing I'll see him. Things will be simpler today too since Junior is once again skipping class, so my date with him won't cloud my time with Michael since I won't have to see him until later. I've decided on a knee length blue dress with white flowers all over it, and attempt to put my hair up into a Victory Roll. The dress fit me well, but my hair has a mind of its own today so I decide to just let it fall and pin the front back. I feel confident as I look in the mirror at my reflection and smile to myself. No matter who I look like, my mother, father, or a mix of both, right now I feel like my own person. An individual with goals and a past that I am slowly moving away from. I can see myself content for once in my life, not quite happy, but content.

   I finally gather up all of my things which were scattered after such a long break, and make my way outside. Dominic is waiting in the car for me, staring straight ahead. I didn't know he and Dimitri were cousins until the whole docks incident. Since the funeral, Dominic has kept to himself. He hasn't even opened the car door for me, but I don't mind. I understand what it's like to grieve for someone you'll never see again. We drive quietly to campus and I stare at the familiar buildings the whole way, wondering how angry Dominic must be at Junior for his incompetence. When we finally arrive, I place my hand on Dominic's shoulder as a way of goodbye, and he gives me a quick smile while holding my hand gently before I leave. I know he is trying to be strong, father told him to take some time off but he refused. I wish he would allow himself some time though, he's always so loyal, he needs to be selfish just once.

   I see Michael before he sees me and his familiar, handsome face pulls me from my thoughts of Dominic and Dimitri. He's surrounded by a lot of females, exuding a very Junior type of characteristic. I want to go up to him and say hello, but my pride gets the better of me. So instead I decide to walk right through his entourage while flipping my hair to the side, saying nothing at all. Before I get to far I feel his arm go around my shoulders and he whispers in my ear,

   "Hi gorgeous." I try my best not to grin at his complement but a small smile forms on my face. I allow myself to reveal in his words for a few seconds before acting like I have no care in the world.