Accident

As promised, Mingyu shut his books when the clock strikes eight-thirty. It's dark outside, as the sight makes Mingyu giggle to himself. "Ji!" He yells, clambering out of the mess on his bed. "Yeah?" Jieun's tiny voice replies, and he hears little padded footsteps pattering towards the room. "Put a jacket on, we're going out."

"Really?" Jieun's eyes sparkle happily, as she claps at the idea of finally escaping from the apartment. "Yes! Go get changed quickly, I'll have to drag your daddy out of his books and all," He says with just as much energy as the toddler.

Wonwoo snorts at Mingyu's tease, and he neatly keeps his stuff aside, unlike the unruly adult he's dating. "I need a fucking beanie- MINGYU WHERE'D YOU KEEP MY BEANIES? I CAN'T FIND EVEN ONE OF THEM!" Wonwoo screams at Mingyu - who's probably somewhere helping Jieun 'pick an outfit' or whatever.

"CHECK UNDER YOUR BED!" He replies, as Wonwoo goes back to shuffling through the things under the bed. Sure enough, he finds his trusted purple beanie, and he picks himself up from the floor.

"Daddy, you take too long." Jieun's voice calls from the doorframe, where she stands all sassy and a bored expression on her face. "Don't learn unnecessary things from him," Wonwoo jabs his head in Mingyu's direction - who stands not-so-innocently beside Jieun, a cheeky smile playing on his lips.

"I swear, you guys always gang up against me," Wonwoo fakes a hurt expression, making Jieun immediately run up to him and console him. "Aww, I'm sorry Daddy..."

Wonwoo laughs. "Ji, baby, I was just joking,"

"Okay!"

"Can we go now?" Mingyu asks from the doorframe. "Yeah, you big baby," Wonwoo nods, moving out of the room with Jieun holding his finger.

"At least I'm your baby~"

"Mingyu shut up."

The trio soon steps into a pleasant breeze blowing outside. Jieun is adamant on holding Mingyu's hand too, which makes the boy grumble for not being able to swing hands with Wonwoo as they walk. "GyuGyu, it's alright, you anyways always hold Daddy's hand," Jieun says, as Mingyu blushes furiously at her harmless statement.

The boys dissolve in silence after that, with only Jieun excitedly pointing out things around her. Mingyu and Wonwoo acknowledge each and everything she shows. They find it extremely adorable.

An old couple walks out of a store further into the trio's stroll. The woman smiles in their way, the man doing the same. Wonwoo responds with a smile of his own, as Jieun waves brightly at the strangers. Mingyu hears them chuckle.

As they pass by the trio, Mingyu hears a comment from the older woman: "Such a cute little family,". Mingyu turns to check if Wonwoo heard it too, secretly hoping he hadn't, because if he did, things might get awkward. But the look on Wonwoo's face tells Mingyu right away -- he heard it too.

He expects Wonwoo to go brick still after that, instead he finds him chuckling softly at Mingyu. "It's fine, they didn't know," Is what he says. Mingyu sighs internally, a bit sensitive with what the lady said, although he knows she wasn't being offensive in any way.

"Oh look! Daddy, it's a puppy!" Jieun points to a stray puppy in the middle of the road, looking excruciatingly thin and underfed as it tried to cross to the other side with its weak legs. Wonwoo, almost like it were an automated response, sprinted towards it to safely bring it on the sidewalk - seeing a car approaching.

Unfortunately, Wonwoo seemed to have seriously underestimated the speed at which the car came at him and the puppy.

The world froze in an instant. Wonwoo felt a sharp stab of pain slithering through his side, and his legs started feeling like ice. Something moved in his palms - he couldn't see anything and his brain felt light. Dampness made itself known on Wonwoo's side, as his brain slowly registered the situation, although he felt his thoughts drain out of it. Right, he was in the middle of the road, doing something he couldn't quite recall.

His once-crouched legs fell limp. His body gave out, and as his eyes and ears were about to block out everything in their wake, he heard a guttural, heart-wrenching scream somewhere to his right. And everything went so silent, a pin could have dropped and still echoed loudly.

---

I'll be honest - I'm not even sorry