Chapter 8

The three were walking back toward the shore, their ears filled with the constant rhythm of waves crashing onto the rocky shore. Caught up watching the foamy breakers hitting the sand and stone, they were unaware of the scene unfolding behind them. In the rolling swells of the sea, two bright glowing blue embers appear to be coming to the surface of the waves.

As they approached the edge of the wave, they continued out as a stronger current of waves spun around at such a confined speed to almost look like a man's head coming out of the ocean. As the faster current spun around the head, lines of water danced and flew back into the seas, looking like hair flowing behind the head and becoming one with the waves again.

It was a remarkable sight, and even if they or anyone else looked, it would be hard to tell what they were seeing. As more of its body rose with the waves, it appeared as though storms of cyclonic seas roiled beneath the surface of some unseen barrier. The tumultuous waters spun and coalesced to make individual muscles, tendons, and bones.

The creature rose more and then a shout was heard from the walls of the Dam. Turning around to see what was going on, Emryk, Aleks, and Marek saw the creature they've only ever heard of called a Rusałki. The father pushed the boys back behind. Aleks further pushed Emryk behind him and made sure he could feel his presence behind him.

The creature stopped at the point where they thought it might stand on the sea floor with the top half of its body sticking out. Guards all along the wall began pointing, but no one was dumb enough to attack the creature. Just one Rusałki, when angered, can send a tidal wave down upon their city, drowning everyone.

Far in the distance in the sea, a second Rusałki rose up under their gaze. This one looked like a beautiful young woman made of spinning waves. She seemed to have waves sweeping behind her head, flowing all around each other like braids.

"I guess no piscix hunting today," Marek said, disappointed

"But why? I thought they weren't always hostile?" Aleks asked with wonder on his face.