Chapter 10

In the heart of the Trojno Krono Mountains, Jeklo Srce–known as the Steel Heart–stands as the tallest and most protected mountain in the world. Most importantly, it's the location of the Throne of Knowledge. Flanked by two other peaks, each mountain connects to the four other kingdoms on the continent of Pentaregna Montis.

Inside the mountains, the Mountainborn Terrakin rule. They also protect Cognitus and the world's representation of knowledge. The mountains are fortresses above and below.

Cognitius, as the representation of that knowledge, must take the form of a being large enough to contain it. Because of this, he is the only god who cannot shapeshift. As such, he rarely ever leaves his mountain throne.

Down the side of Jeklo Srce, Cognitius was making his descent. His massive form moved faster than any terrakin guard could follow. Because of this, they instead manned peep holes down along the path to Aelalos.

Every so often, shafts emerged to vent the air from the labyrinth of tunnels. At different levels in the mountain, hundreds more terrakin guards waited.

At the bottom, several guards stood waiting to follow the god on his journey to visit the forest elves and the guardians. They preferred him to remain in the mountain since no one had ever successfully attacked the mountain. But they obeyed his orders, always.

Only twice before had Cognitius died prematurely and it's an event that can alter the future of every kingdom on the planet. Without Knowledge, neither the gods, the guardians, or any of their followers can be warned of events happening around the world.

Because of divine rules, only Cognitius may remain on the planet for the full year. He achieves this by imparting his soul into the body of a giant and the two giant lapis lazuli pillars that arise out of the mountaintop beside his chair. The pillars go straight down the center of the mountain and deep into the earth. No other god may use the body of a giant to extend their lives. They can only use elven, terrakin, or human forms.

Cognitius uses the small lapis lazuli stones across his body to send messages or knowledge. When someone holds the stone, the knowledge appears in either images, emotions, or words in their head. Once done, the Sapientarius returns the stones to Cognitius to be used again.

Once they passed into the forests, elven royal guards spread out beside three elves standing in the center, waiting. Up in the trees, archers and scouts stood look out. Even further above, many beautiful avix of different colors flew around in circles. Smaller versions of elven ears came out from their heads.

While they spoke in chirps and avixsong, the elves could communicate with them and the avix could understand the three languages of Aelalos. As familiars of the elves, they serve as lookouts from on high. Warning calls from the birds began signaling the scouts and archers to be on the lookout.

The giant figure's head peeked out above the trees growing at the bottom of the mountain. Before the giant form of Cognitius emerged out of the trees, the smaller forms of the terrakin guard came out to greet their fellow guards from their neighboring kingdom. As Cognitius emerged, the three older elves in the center walked forward and bowed.

The oldest and most grizzled spoke as all elves bowed with them. "Tervehdys, Herra Tieto."

"