Chapter 20

The two serpavix swooped down on top of the mountain. Right before landing, they transformed back into their natural forms before Cognitius. Bowing, they made their reports from their latest mission to hunt down a Strzyga that was wreaking havoc in a far off land.

"We had to allow both souls to move on. Neither could be saved," Slawomir said.

"Too many lives were lost already. It's as it had to be," Cognitius said.

"The host soul, even though it never knew what the invading soul was doing with its body, would never have recovered. Their neighbors would never believe they weren't in control of their actions. It was a mercy," Slawomir said. He was looking at Lahja Eeva when he said it.

She bent her head in agreement even though she was unhappy they couldn't do more. "I know. But it's my role to save as many as I can. We already stopped the threat of the perverted soul. The natural soul was still young, and could have learned much more in a long life."

Cognitius heard this argument before. He wasn't prone to dissuading their arguments and methods, but there were other things to deal with. Life and death move on. "You did as much as you could. The souls have already moved onto the path to their next lives."

"Yes," she bowed to Cognitius. "But the identity is dead. They will never remember the life they lost."

"Would you want them to remember this life and the death they caused?" Cognitius asked.

This was always the question he asked when he wanted to move on. There was only one answer to that question. "No, I wouldn't want that. But maybe they could somehow restart with the same identity."

"Even if it could be possible to give them the same gender, same name, their parents would be different. Their friends would be different. All the things that influence the identity and innate personality of a soul in a body would be different. There's just no way to make them the same."

She listened to the explanation, resigning herself to the conclusion she always knew. She once suggested changing the flow of time to change the past. Cognitius pointed out how life would never move forward again because bad things were always happening all across the world.

There was nothing else to say. Slawomir was gazing around the clouds not far above them, as winter was on its way down below. He cared about Lahja Eeva, but he tired of this same argument every time he did what was necessary.

He knew how most people saw him and his duties. Many blame him and his godly father for every death that happens. They just won't accept that it's natural. It's also not the end.

Death comes calling regardless of anyone's fears or dreams of immortality. Even he would die. Most certainly before he wanted. But that didn't give him the ability to whine about it or pray for a longer life.

He wasn't a coldhearted person. He wasn't evil or a monster. Nevertheless, it hurts him inside when she looks at him this way. It's not like he enjoyed killing that teenage boy earlier today. That was just the way it had to be.

Like her, he was never asked if he wanted this life. It irritated him that of all the guardians of life he had known through the years, none ever complain about their jobs, only his. None of them ever regret the opportunity they've been given. Because of that, they all just assume he loves being death's representation on earth.

He didn't enjoy killing people. But he knew they would be better off starting over in a new world unencumbered by whatever led their paths to meet. Never has he hunted random creatures. Death doesn't need to hunt for anyone.

Death is eternal, just as life is. He isn't heartless because he's already accepted that someday his mother will die and he will never see her again. No matter what world they move to, they might never even be the same species again. There was no use worrying and wondering about what comes next.

This is the only chance he will ever have to be this version of himself. Why waste that? He was never asked if he wanted this job.

There's only allowed to be one of each and someone must do it. If either refused, they would simply be killed so a new guardian could be born. Their parents loved them, but even they knew what they were created for. While their mother entered into contracts with the higher gods, but it was they who paid the price.

Cognitius snapped him out of his thoughts to bring the meeting back to order. He nodded in apology to the god while, as he knew would happen, Lahja Eeva apologized to him for her harsh words earlier. All he could do was nod.

"Ok," Cognitius began, "I want you both to visit the indecents again. Amorius and Terrianis introduced themselves to the boy Emryk. I presume Oceanis or his form as Moreno might meet with Aerianis or someone else."

"We will do as you say," they both echoed.

He looked down at the elven guardian. "He saw you last time, as planned. While he was the one who called my attention to the meeting on Trianisian Isle, I'm still uncertain of his intentions. His thoughts are as wild as the ocean itself and are too much for even me to track all at once. So be cautious."

Cognitius addressed them both this time. "Transform into your chromoreptix forms and I'll transport you both directly to the wall around the island. This way, he won't sense your transformations and find you. Though, of course, he might be on the lookout.

I'm not sure where the meeting will take place. If it's on the island, great. But if not, don't follow. The Air is as complex as the Ocean, and I don't know where his loyalty lies. He will see you the moment you change to any avixform."

"Do you know Terrianis' full plans yet?" Slawomir asked.

"No. she's keeping her thoughts and plans moving through the earth, shifting from continent to continent. While not as wild as her brothers, they are out of this simple form's grasp without destroying the vessel."

Cognitius ended the meeting and handed the two guardians lapis lazuli stones. They returned the powers they needed to handle the Strazyga and pulled out new abilities they would need. Approaching polar night in Kara Wyspa, they would need night vision and the ability to stay warm. Neither was an innate ability of the chromoreptix.

"Alright, shift to your forms and I'll transport you. I'll also give you the ability to shift to a safe place in Kinlandia if necessary. From there, fly back and report in."

As soon as they switched forms, Cognitius tossed small gems at them. The moment the stone made contact, they vanished. Appearing on top of the wooden fence, they looked at each other, then triggered their forms of camouflage.

Blending in, they crawled around until they could both see from different sides of the island and still see each other from the top of the fence.