Chapter Seventeen

<You're my safe haven<3 >

-Chapter Seventeen: My toe really hurts

Beau walked into the kitchen, passing Victoria, who scrunched her face up at him as she carried two beverages in her hand. He sent her a tight smile before releasing a real soft smile at his boyfriend. He watched him take a sip of the drink in his hand, "Mmm, no wonder you like it. It tastes like a slurpee." Beau felt his smile grow, walking over behind him silently before placing his hands on his shoulders. "Oh really?" He felt the boy jump under him.

"Holy shit Ba-Beau! You scared me." He placed a hand on his chest, ignoring the light tinge of heat on his face from his almost mess up. Beau chuckled, lightly massaging his shoulders for a second, releasing his shoulders and sitting next to him as Belly glared at him for ruining her and Jeremiah's supposed 'moment'. Beau ignored the glare, questionably looking at the drink on the counter.

"Hmm, what's that?" He hummed as he picked it up with a sniff, his face screwing up at the smell of alcohol. Jeremiah's lips pulled, the urge to kiss the boy next to him almost irresistible. "It's a pomegranate margarita." Belly spat out, Beau furrowed his eyebrows as he pressed his lips together. Nodding, he put the drink down, slightly pushing it away from him. "Oh." Jeremiah chuckled as Belly scowled, she wanted the attention back on her.

She smirked, what if...yeah that seems like a good idea. "I have an idea. Sous-chef, I'm gonna need more pomegranate juice." The boys furrowed their eyebrows in confusion, Beau tilted his head, "Isabel...whatcha doin'?" Belly fiercely glared at him while Jeremiah's back was turned, grabbing what she had asked for. His eyes widened and he put his hands up in surrender. "My apologies.." He mumbled under his breath, Jeremiah and Belly started to work on the drinks.

Conrad walked into the room, "What are you guys making?" Belly smiled at the sound of his voice while Beau groaned quietly, placing his head on the arm resting on the counter, his other hand resting on Jeremiah's thigh discreetly. "Pomegranate margaritas with a twist." Belly smirked, showing him something she grabbed from the pantry. Conrad looked at the two, "Well, you got to use the good blender." Beau's eyes widened, the last time they used that the counters were sticky for two summers, and Jeremiah's room stunk like a dead rat.

As if reading his mind, Jeremiah spoke up. "Oh, I-I haven't used that thing since the great Kool-Aid debacle of 2011." Conrad chuckled, placing the blender on the counter, "I remember, the counters were sticky for... two summers?" Jeremiah laughed, one hand going down to Beau's hand, interlacing their fingers. "Yeah. Just about. Dad kept his, uh, briefcase in my room for a year. 'As a reminder that all mistakes are not reversible.'."

Belly froze, "Won't he be mad when he finds out?" Conrad scoffed, "He won't find out, he's not coming." Jeremiah's smile fell, Beau frowned and squeezed his hand. They put the ingredients in it before Conrad turned it on, he jokingly removed his hand off the top. Jeremiah and Beau immediately put their hands on the top, Jeremiah's smile returning, "Keep your hands on it! Keep your hands on it!" Conrad chuckled.

He turned it off, flicking the lid off before looking at Jeremiah, "Man, you know what I miss? Watching Laurel put Dad in his place. You know, she'd walk in, she'd be like, 'Adam.'" As he said that Laurel walked in, "Adam." The four teens paused and looked at her in shock, their eyes trailing over to where she was looking, seeing Adam there, Beau retracted his hand from Jeremiah's as he sucked in a breath.

The younger boy furrowed his eyebrows at the loss of contact before grinning at his father. "Dad! You came!" He got up and hugged his father. Conrad's face dropped as Adam smiled, "Hey guys, hey Connie, I'll have a little bit of what you guys are mixing up there." He points at the drink. Conrad doesn't respond as he ignores his father. "Yeah sure!" Belly smiled, handing him a premade drink.

"Oh, you're gonna love the firework show this year. It's gonna be the best one yet. Beau and I were going to watch it down at the beach but now that you're here we can all watch it together!" Jeremiah stated happily, he gets to show his boyfriend and his father the fireworks he worked hard on this year, what could go wrong? John's eye furrowed at the mention of the Conklin boy, looking at him through his peripheral vision before clearing his throat, "I believe it." He chuckled as Jeremiah nodded happily, placing his hands on his hips.

Beau's eyes widened, he didn't think Jere still wanted him to watch the show now that his father was here. He bit his lip to stop the smile from growing on his face. Before anything else was said Susannah walked into the room, "Hey, where did everyone go–" She cut herself off seeing her husband. "Adam."

The Conklin boy's eyes widened, the tension growing by the millisecond. Welp this was his cue to leave. He sat up as quietly as he could for being in the middle of the room, yet no one seemed to notice but Jeremiah, who furrowed his eyebrows at the tension. Beau stood up, silently making his way over to the door as everyone kept their eyes on the married couple. All but one, he could feel eyes trained on his back.

As he was walking out of the room, he stubbed his big toe on the corner of a table. He took a sharp intake of air, biting his lip to stop from making any sound. His fist clenched as Jeremiah's face turned amused at the boy's actions. His foot was cradled in his hands as he quietly rocked on the floor, his face screwed up in pain. Yet no one seemed to notice, that's good, he would have thought, but he was too preoccupied with the throbbing of his stubbed toe.

Susannah walked towards her husband, "You managed to get off work." No one paid any attention to the light whine that left the boy on the floor, Jeremiah's eyebrows rose in amusement, focusing both on the boy and his parents. "Yeah, couldn't miss the Fourth with my family." Conrad quietly scoffed at him, looking down at the counter. Susannah decided it was tense enough and made the excuse to get back to the party. Everyone started to leave the room, Conrad ignoring his dad when he went to talk to him.

The married couple talked in hushed voices as they left the room, leaving the boy on the floor and his boyfriend who watched him entertained. When they heard the door close Beau let out a groan. "Owwwww." Jeremiah laughed and walked over to him. "Are you okay?" He held in his laughter as he spoke, Beau glared at him light heartedly, spreading his limbs into a starfish position on the floor instead of the fetus position he had originally been in.

"My toe hurts." Jeremiah burst out into a fit of giggles.

"Yeah yeah laugh it up, but my toe really hurts." He whined, making the younger boy laugh harder. There was no denying the smile growing on the Conklin boy's face as he heard the laughter.