03

[ ◉¯]

Chapter 3

Black Sambo

It was late at night—almost quarter to midnight when my phone rang. I grunted and lazily put down the manhwa I was reading to roll over to the edge of the bed and grab my phone from the bedside table. I kept my contacts and social media limited, so if someone would call me, it was probably someone I knew.

My eyes widened when I scanned my screen. It was mommy requesting for a facetime. I hastily got out of my bed, fixed my hair, and let my phone stand against the wall of my desk. I've been so involved lately in Thaianara's shenanigans that the fact that that my mother was now in another country completely flew over my head.

When I thought I was ready, I pressed the accept button and stared into the screen.

Bumungad sa 'kin ang ayos ni mommy. Nasa isang kuwarto siya na nakaupo rin habang ang laptop niya ay nasa harapan niya. Sa palagay ko ay may pupuntahan pa siya dahil nakasuot siya ng pulang halter na may black na silhouette. She also had makeup on—her red lips was what really stood out, matching her top.

I gritted my teeth.

Kung itatabi kaming dalawa ni mommy, hindi siguro aakalain ng mga tao na anak niya ako. Mommy liked to dress up and look glamorous while I always just sticked to just hoodies and some cargo pants. I never also bothered to expound my fashion sense further since every time we'd go shopping, I was always outside the fitting room, waiting as she fit every dress that caught her attention.

"Mom..." I called her when she didn't realize that I answered the call and was now staring at her as she put on jewelries.

Tinapunan niya ako ng tingin at pinasadan ng tingin ang mukha ko nang napagtantong nasagot ko na ang kaniyang tawag.

"Elize," aniya. "Are you still upset? You know I can't have you be like this every time I would call you—"

"I'm fine, Mom," I cut her off before she could even start ranting about how I needed to stop sulking about her departure.

Nagtagal ang kaniyang mga titig sa 'kin bago pinatuloy ang pagsuot niya ng kaniyang hikaw.

She sighed. "I must admit, anak. I was quite disappointed when you didn't call me to check if I arrived here in the States safely."

There goes her tone again.

I bit my lower lip.

"I'm sorry. I was quite preoccupied lately..." mahinang wika ko.

"Hmm?" Ang kabilang tainga niya naman ngayon ang sinasabitan niya ng hikaw. "How have you been in your Tita Nara's house?"

I shifted my weight on my seat. "It's alright in here. Tita is nice, and Thaianara's...makakaya ko pa naman."

Mommy chuckled. "Ah-huh. Naka-enroll ka na?"

Tumango ako. "Yes. I went with Thaianara and her friends."

Her brows shot up. "So you already made some friends—"

She stopped when she heard a noise from the other room. It sounded like a few people with voices of children, laughing and giggling, as well as thumping sounds of objects.

Sinulyapan niya ako bago tumayo at lumapit sa pinto. Nakita ko kung paano niya ito sinarado at ni-lock bago dahan-dahang umupo pabalik sa harapan ng kaniyang laptop.

My brows furrowed. Ano 'yon?

"Anyway, you enrolled in STEM, right?"

Still processing, I nodded slowly.