04

[ ◉¯]

Chapter 4

Sociable

The first day of school finally came.

Thaianara oriented me the night before that we had to arrive at school earlier than usual if I wanted to be toured around by her, that's why we arrived at before six thirty in the morning. I already had a glimpse of the school during enrollment but I never got to actually explore it, thus, I let Thaianara be my tour guide for the day. I even brought my digital camera for memories of my first time in the school as its student.

Itinutok ko ang camera sa kahel na langit kung saan papasikat pa lang ang araw tsaka kinunan iyon ng litrato. Buti na lang walang masamang elementong bumulong na hindi siya dapat kinukunan ng picture nang walang paalam.

The school was big. When you first enter the massive gate, a long and wide driveway for cars will greet you. On the side, there was another lane for students to come in and walk towards inside the campus. Matatanaw mo rin ang malawak na field pagpasok mo. Iniisip ko pa lang na baka tatakbuhin ko iyon kapag mag-P.E, tila bang hinihingal na 'ko.

From the moment I enrolled in this school, I knew it was going to be expensive. As much as possible, I tried to understand mommy and how she would frequently tell me to perform well and study even more—especially now that I was in a more demanding school compared to my previous one. Though, I was still stuck whether my feelings were valid or if all the constant weight on my shoulders were worth it because at the end of the day, I got to be in such school.

I tried to brush everything off. Hindi ko dapat iniisip 'yon kasi first day ko sa bagong school. Napagtantuan kong doon na lang siguro muna ako mag-f-focus.

Thaianara and I were dropped off just outside of the main gate by Tita Nara since she had to go to work too.

"Good luck, mga anak." She rolled down the window from the driver's seat and smiled widely at us. She then turned to Thaianara. "Thai, ikaw na bahala kay Elize, ha. Elize, kapag pinapabayaan ka ni Thaianara, isumbong mo sa 'kin kasi babawasan ko ang allowance niyan," banta ni Tita.

I only nodded and smiled at her.

"Hindi ko alam kung ako ba talaga yung anak o ikaw!" Reklamo ni Thaianara pagpasok na namin.

She figured that we'd take our time since there were only a few people yet and that the classrooms were probably not unlocked yet.

Naglakad kami sa mahabang hallway na pumapalibot sa malawak na field habang si Thaianara ay panay kuwento ng mga pangyayari na naganap doon. Kinunan ko ng mga picture ang field at pati na rin ang mga buildings na nasa gilid nito hanggang sa nahagip ng mga mata ko ang aming porma nung dumaan kami sa mga sliding doors ng mga building.

I pursed my lips.

I already had my uniform. It was a white long sleeves layered with a blue vest and a blue necktie, and on the bottom was just some black slacks and black school shoes. Thaianara's top was the same as mine, except she had a black skirt and thigh-high socks with black mary jane shoes.

Blue was not really my color, I'm more of green person, but the shade was fine and I didn't mind it. I thought at first it was going to be too hot to wear, but Thaianara told me that the classrooms were all air-conditioned so I didn't think of it that much.

"Dito yung library. Puwede kang tumambay dito basta't manahimik ka lang," si Thaianara at itinuro ang malaking building na dinaanan namin. I took a picture of the sign that said 'Library'.

"Duh," bara ko sa kaniya kung saan inirapan niya lang ako.

"Puwede ka ring humiram ng mga libro, pero ask ka muna ng slip sa librarian." Tumango ako sa sinabi niya. I was definitely going to spend most of my time here.