chapter 4

Stella walked into the house, looking around and seeing the open space. Ella ran in with Christina behind her, yelling for the little girl to slow down. “Lord, how do you do it, My boys weren’t that wild,” Christina spoke out of breath to the younger woman standing in the kitchen. Stella looked at her with an amused smile, then turned to watch her daughter look around. “She’s just like her father. He would run circles around me when we were kids.” She spoke with a small furrow in her brows, along with the saintess smile about the fond memories from her childhood. Making her way to the bedroom, Stella looked around the room in thought. 'It needed a bit of paint, maybe black.' Nodding at the thought, she made her way through the house, going out to the backyard where she found Ella and Christian playing with the playset. "Hey, I'm gonna go to the hardware store to get some paint." Christine nodded at the woman tossing the car keys to her. Starting the car, Stella looked at the houses next to her own, taking note to induce herself. Pulling out of the driveway, Stella made her way to town. The black Impala pulled up outside the hardware store, the radio cutting out as the woman shut off the car. Many of the people watched the woman in a tight dress get out of the old car, revealing heeled feet, and pinned backlight blue hair, her eyes covered by her red-framed sunglasses. Some women wonder who the lady was, having not seen her before. Walking into the store, the man at the counter watched the woman remove her glasses as she walked to the paint section. She grabbed four cans of black by the onyx, along with some silver gray, and pastel purple for her daughter. Walking up to the cash register, the man looked at the blue-haired woman with a raised eyebrow. “Is that all, ma’am.” She looked at the man with a smirk, then laughed. “No, 1. I need paint brushes and trays which by the way are behind you. 2. I’m not that old, I’m only 21, and finally don’t ever call me ma’am again.” After speaking, the man finally noticed the crow tattoo on her chest over her heart. The black ink was incised around other tattoos of color. "You're an old lady." The man's voice made her look down at the tattoo, and then back at him. "Yes, is that a problem with you?" The man shook his head, then rang her stuff up. Carting the paint to the car, she placed them in the back floorboards. Getting home, Stella walked only to be greeted by small arms wrapping around her left leg. Trying to walk with the little girl wrapped around her leg, she placed the paint colors in their rooms. “Ok, you little monkey. Do you wanna help Mommy paint your room?” Stella asked as she plucked the little girl from her leg. The little girl nodded her head like a bobblehead figure. After changing into some old clothes, the two sit down for some work, as Christian made dinner for them before she left. Ella’s room went from a bland white to a beautiful pastel purple, her bookcase filled with many books and stuffed animals, her blue toy bin next to her TV filled with dolls, and trucks, along with a few toy Harley motorcycles. Her wooden toddler bed had old Polly sheets with a matching blanket, her stuffed raven sitting on top. After eating dinner and saying goodbye to Christian, Stella got Ella ready for bed, reading her a book as they sat in the rocking chair in the living room. The soft snores of Ella sounded soon after they finished the book, standing up with the girl, Stella moved to Ella’s room. Tucking her into the blanket, and turning on her favorite cartoon. Making her way to her room. Stella began painting the walls black, with silver to the trim. After an hour the walls had dried, and she started putting her furniture where she wanted. Her bed was right in front of the window, next to the right side was her nightstand with a thrifted lamp. Her dresser sat next to the closet where all her dresses and jackets hung. Her bed had black and red sheets, with a big blanket laid on top. Her TV is mounted on the wall, above her gun case, with two bookcases on each side of it, Holding all her books. Finally feeling the triteness, Stella changed into a big oversized t-shirt, that she kept from two years ago. Dropping on her bed, shutting her eyes. Her snores sounded down the hall.