chapter 9

The next morning, Stella and Ella were in their kitchen Ella eating her breakfast. Stella was still in her sweats and tank top, when her doorbell rang, as she was still drinking her coffee. “Ella, you keep eating baby.” She said as she walked passed the little girl in the high chair. Making her way, coffee in hand, she opened the door to find someone she didn’t expect to see for now. “Good morning, Clay. What can I do for you this early in a sun-filled morning?” She said in a joking tone, with a smirk, as she took a drink of her coffee. “Nice mug.” He said after a laugh left his mouth, his eyes seeing the words printed on the cup, ‘Bitchass moms need their coffee too like they need dick.’ She huffed out a laugh at the pointed mug of choice this morning. “Well, come on in, and meet your granddaughter.” She said as she moved to walk back to the kitchen, Clay followed her to the kitchen after closing the door. “Ella, there’s someone here to meet you,” Stella said as she leaned down to the little girl in her booster seat at the table, Stella placing her coffee mug on the table. “This is your grandpa.” She said as Clay came into view of the little girl. Ella looked at a man with graying hair, as he smiled at the little 2-year-old. Her face looked between her mom and the older man. “Where's Grandpa Ally,” Ella said as she looked back at her mom, with confusion. “He's back in Texas, baby. We will call him later, OK.” Stella spoke with a smile over her mug. Clay looked to the little girl, then to Stella. “Who’s Grandpa Ally?” He asked the woman, as she smiled at the graying-haired man. “Marcus Alvarez, even though the man went up against you guys a lot and still does, he was around a lot helping me, and she got so used to him, that she sees him as a grandpa, hell I started calling him dad.” She spoke as she walked to the coffee maker, she spoke with hand gestures as she talked to the man, like there was nothing wrong with what she was saying. Clay looked at her with wide eyes, “You know, I just remember I have a meeting to get to.” She nodded at the man as he made his way out the door. She watched him leave, he had started to call someone on the phone, as he looked at her. He waved with a smile, which she had returned. As he left, she watched from her living room widow. Walking back to the kitchen she plunked up her phone, dialing a number she knew all too well. “Hello, Alvarez speaking.”