chapter 10

“Hey, Ally. It’s Stella, I’m gonna need a favor.” Stella spoke into the burner, waiting for his voice to speak again. “Ah, MI Hija. How’s Ella, and what do you need, My dear.” Stella smiled at the words of affection he used for her, “I’m gonna need to put a backup plan in place, just in case.” Her voice was set as she spoke, Alvarez knew the tone, he had heard it before. “What do you need, Mi hija.” Stella knew what to do, going into what she needed to do if she was dead, with the man on the phone. Ella watched her mother talk on the phone, she may have been young, but she never liked to see her mother cry. Climbing from her chair, the small girl walked to her mother, wrapping her small arms around her legs, and rubbing her face in the pants on her mother's legs. “Mama, Grandpa Ally.” Ella said as she looked up at her mother, her eyes big and wide with a smile. Nodding her head, Stella handed the phone to the 2-year-old, she grabbed her pack of smokes, lighting one, as she listened to Ella babble away to the older man on the phone. Ella talked to the man about everything, from her new baby brother to meeting a blonwhatoat looked like her, even her new bedroom. Ella loved Alvarez, he had been there for her when she needed him, to her he was her grandpa. Ella even learned Spanish from him, the same as her mama. Stella smiled at the young girl, the smoke filling her lungs as she puffed on the stick. Alvarez listened to the young Nina, Ella is a sweet child, and her mother is an even tougher woman than he had met in the beginning. “Ok, Nina, put your mama back on and we’ll talk soon.” Alvaraz spoke as Ella listened to the man, handing her mom the phone back. Stella took the phone, ending the call with Alvaraz. Plucking Ella up from the ground, the little girl wrapped her arms around her mom. “Alright baby, we have some shopping to do.” Stella said as she made her way to the bedrooms. Stella dressed Ella in a pair of overalls with her boots and rainbow shirt, the little girl's hair done in pigtails. Ella sat on her mama’s bed and watched the older woman pick out her outfit for the day. Stella pulled her hair up into a bun, painting her face with the dark color of eyeshadow, and lipstick. “Pretty,” Ella said as her mom walked out of the closet, Stella smiled at the little girl. “Oh, sweetie. Your beautiful Mama wishes she could be as pretty as you, my sweet girl.” The words made the little girl giggle and smile with a wide-toothed grin. Stella pulled on a pair of cigarette pants and an off-the-shoulder red top. Her shoes, her biker boots. “Alright my sweet girl, shall we.” Ella nodded as she jumped down taking her mom's hand. The pair walked out, and Stella grabbed her purse, and keys. The impala started with a roar, making her way to town, they sang along to the radio. Ella watched out the window at the passing-by houses and stores. The first place they stopped was the grocery store, Ella riding in the buggy. Ella watched as her mom read off a list. Grabbing and placing things in the cart, most boxed and bagged food, no produce, or meat. After leaving, Stella loaded the Impala up and headed to the farmer's market, Finding some of the women from CaraCara there. Stella watched as Ella played with one of the little Amish boys. Ella laughed with the slightly older boy. “You have such a pretty daughter.” A woman said as Stella picked up all kinds of fruit and veggies. “Thank you, she a handful but I love her no less.” Stella smiled, as she paid. “Ella, time to go.” Ella waved to the boy, who blushed and waved back. Ella again watched her mom load the car. The last stop is the butcher, Pulling up to the store. Stella and Ella walked to the door as they heard the sound of a man speaking. “Stella, what are you doing?” Turning, she found Jax there. “Well, if you must know, I’m shopping. You know so I can feed our daughter.” Jaxs looked to her, and then to Ella. Stella huffed, then walked in, Jaxs followed, standing behind her. “Hello, what can I get you.” The man behind the counter said as Stella stood there. “Hello, I was hoping to get a little of everything, both of cow, pig, deer, and chicken.” She said as the man started laying out the order. He packed each item in a box for her on a rolling cart. Waiting, Jaxs watched as Ella stood with her mom. ‘Man, I miss two whole years of my kids' life, 'cause I was being an idiot.’ He thought as she wheeled the cart to the car. He watched as she loaded everything in the car, seeing all the grocery bags.