chapter 8

Stella in Abel’s hospital room, as Ella sat in her lap, she read from a book. Ella chimed in now and again with words that she had recognized, her words a little rude but still Stella was happy that she was reading, “That’s correct, Ella. You're such a smart girl.” Stella’s voice was soft and happy towards the young girl, the little girl herself was smiling wide at her mother’s encouraging words. The pair kept reading the book out loud, as Stella did funny voices for different characters, making the young girl laugh and smile. At the door, Gemma stood with a frown, watching mother and children together, she saw Stella with her left hand in the hole holding onto Abel's hand, his finger wrapped around the woman's average bony finger. Gemma looked towards the little girl sitting on her lap, Ella smiled at her mother with a wide toothy mouth with some baby teeth gone. Stella had her hair tied back in a high ponytail, showing her earrings, and silver dangling snakes. Her makeup was light with overage but had a pop of color. Blue jeans, leather boots, and a tight tank top paired with a dark red cardange. Gemma looked at her hands once again, Gemma’s mouth dropped as she finally saw the ring on her left hand, the ring finger, the ring that Jax had given her the night they married, still on her finger. ‘How did I not see it?’ Gemma thought when She heard the voice of Tara down the hall. Gemma moved away from the door going back down the hall to the corner. Gemma watched as Tara entered the room, Tara had seen the young mother in the rocking chair with the young girl. “You're not supposed to be here,” Tara said, making Ella and Stella look toward the doctor, Stella raised an eyebrow at the woman. “I’m sorry, but Abel is my son and my lawyer is getting the adoption papers done for me thank you. Wendy signed over rights to me before she got bigger than this.” Tara looked with wide eyes at the young woman. “You're serious, how are you going to take Jax’s son from him?” Stella stood, setting Ella on the chair. “Stay, my beautiful girl. Watch your brother for me.” Ella nodded her head, looking back to her baby brother with a smile. Stella smiled at her daughter, then looked towards Tara with a blank face. Walking over, she grabbed Tara by her forearm, pulling her out the door. “I don’t know what your problem with me is. But those kids don’t need it in their lives. So Keep your little doctor's mouth closed when I’m here with Ella. Cause trust me, Tara. you think I’ll fall for the little I’m a woman help me, you are dead wrong. Yeah, that’s right. I know why you're here. I had a friend of mine look into why you're back here. So watch your back, miss I do no wrong.” Stella said in one breath after closing the door, keeping her kids from her words. Tara saw the look of a mother protecting her kids from harm, Stella might have been tiny in height but she made up for it in her body language and how she held herself. Tara looked at her with a blank face, “Now go in there do your damn job, then move your little scrub-wearin' ass back to work.” Stella said, then made her way back inside of the room finding Ella in the spot as she left her. “OK, baby. We gotta go, we got some shopping to do.” Stella said to Ella, as she looked back at the sound of her mother’s voice. Ella turned looking at her brother in the clear box, placing a hand on the plastic, she leaned into placing a kiss on it. “Love you.” She spoke, as she finally climbed off the chair, running to her mother, Stella picked her up in her legs, wrapping her up in her. “Tell me, how you are going to take Ella from her brother, Tara,” Stella said as Tara watched the child act with the baby, with a look of realization of the child's love for the little boy. Tara watched as Stella walked out, the dark part of her mind whispering, ‘That’s what we should have with Jax, we are rightful for it.’ Tara let the other thoughts of just baking down go, as the want for Jax became more clear to her. Gemma stood to the side as Stella walked past, Stella side-eyed her as she left with her little girl.