gallagher defeated

Monday's were never good in the Gallagher house, but the day just got worse when Carl decided to read the school newspaper for once.
And as he finally finishes the torturous paper, his eyes scroll down and linger on the picture.

"Look, Reagan's in the paper!" Carl explains, which gets both Lip and Ian's attention. Lip's eyebrows furrow in confusion and he asks, "What for?"

Carl's fingers trace the words as he reads, "As the young gymnast Reagan Gallagher rises to fame across the nation for her talented tumbling skills, she finds herself without a spot on the cheer team.".

His jaw drops as the boy continues to read, "The 14-year-old has lost her spot as a flyer to her boyfriend's ex girlfriend, Lindsay Hill, with the help of Karen Jackson.".

"Rae just lost her place on the team?" Ian asks, confused. There was no way that Lindsay was better than Reagan.

Lip throws his cup of coffee into the sink and hurries to grab his phone. "I've gotta go. I've gotta find Reagan!".

"She'll consider this a personal slander!" Ian yells, as his brother makes his way towards the door. Lip throws his hands up into the air and yells back, "I've gotta stop a homicide!".

Her brothers hadn't realized that she wasn't so close to home. She had made it to Lindsay's house already, despite Lip's wishing that she hadn't read the article yet. Diego let her in through the back door even though he had no clue what was going on.

"Lindsay!" Reagan yells, as she slams the girl's bedroom door open. The girl sits on her bed... her face as pale as a ghost when she sees Reagan with a brick in her hand.

Reagan drops the weapon. She says, "Maybe you're obsessed with me, but you'll never be me. Now what the hell is wrong with you?".

Lindsay gets up and says, "I have no clue what you're talking about!". Reagan turns to her cork bulletin board and rips a picture of Lindsay and Gio off of it.

"You steal my boyfriend, Karen, and now my place on the team!" Reagan says. She makes her way towards Lindsay, grabs her arm and slams her against the wall.

Lindsay screams, but Reagan grabs her neck. "You shut up!" The girl yells, "Quit the team or else.". Reagan releases Lindsay from her grip and angrily makes her way to the door, but Lindsay yells, "You're going to burn!". Laughing, Reagan says, "I wanna see the world burn, Lindsay!".

Reagan, the once sweet little girl who ran up and down the streets of the Southside, was now running up the steps of the Jackson house. She bangs on the door for a moment before Gio opens it.

"Rae?" He asks, surprised. Gio says with a smile, "I didn't expect to see you until later.". Despite his confusion he greets her with a kiss on the lips, but she quickly pushes him off and runs up the stairs.

The girl reaches for a pocket knife in her pocket and leads herself to Karen's room. "Karen Jackson!" Reagan yells, slamming the door open.

Reagan's young eyes are filled with fury when she confronts Karen, who looks taken aback by her sudden intrusion. The girl was postpartum, but her mother had basically become the child's mother.

"First you cheat on my brother, and now you get me removed from the cheer team!" Reagan's voice trembles with anger as she flashes the knife at her. "I'm done playing nice with you. With everyone! You're all so fucked up!".

Karen's eyes widen in fear as Reagan steps closer to her, her eyes glancing back and forth between the knife and the red head. "Rae, please. I didn't mean for this to all happen! Lindsay wanted a spot on the team and-"

Reagan advances to plunge the knife into her arm, but she feels a strong grip around her waist. "Rae, stop!" Lip yells, pulling his sister away from Karen.

The young girl struggles to free herself from his grip, but Lip was determined to save his sister from jail time. He couldn't care any less about Karen, though. "This isn't going to save you, Rae!" He yells, but Reagan manages to break free and stab the girl's arm.

A blood curdling scream comes out of her mouth, but it's quickly cut off as a bullet rips through Karen's chest.

Reagan, Philip, and Giovanni all stand in shock. Gio falls to his knees, crying over his dead sister's body. Lip grabs the knife from his sister's hand to clean off the blood and shoves it into his pocket. Reagan slowly creeps towards the window to where the bullet had broken through.

"No body, no crime." Reagan says, pulling her phone out and calling Mickey Milkovich.

END OF BOOK ONE