Chapter 28 - Space invaders

Syouji slowly regained his consciousness, as he was being shook from his shoulders. He snorted before opening his eyes slowly, as he felt a sensation of wetness running down his cheeks. Syouji widened his eyes as he caught the sight of Kotori who had a concerned expression. Next to him was Shidou who had sat up and wiping his face.

"What's going on, Kotori?"

"God, you finally woke up! Why are you crying? And where's Shinji?" Kotori questioned as Syouji looked around. That's right. As he surveyed his surroundings, the Spirits huddled around but Shinji was nowhere to be seen.

—[....I'm right here Syouji]

—Oh... I thought you got left behind.

—[I won't ever be left behind again. Anyway, you should go. She's waiting for you.]

When Syouji heard that, he sat up and slowly stood from the ground and gave Kotori a pat on the head as if to reassure her and motioned his hands to urge everyone.

"Shinji will be just fine, you can't see him, but he's here. Shi-bro, everyone we must make haste. We have to go quickly. The war isn't over yet."

"Umu, let's go!"

"Understood."

The Spirits shouted in agreement as Syouji nodded at Kotori who was staring at him inquisitively. Wondering how her older brother suddenly recovered all of his resolve and confidence, Kotori had her mouth agape. But this was not the time to think about such things.

Kotori nodded back and ran through the corridor with resolution as Syouji and the others followed behind. Shidou wasn't far behind either as he ran together with Syouji as loud explosions and ear-piercing gunshots were heard. 

At that point, Syouji walked forward eliminating and decimating any Bandernatch that came around their way until they reached the entrance of Fraxinus' hangar as Syouji scanned his bracelet in one swift movement allowing them entry as Kannazuki's voice was heard from the loudspeaker.

[—Syouji! Commander! You're safe!]

"Yeah, sorry to keep you guys waiting. Commander and I were occupied with something."

As Syouji said that, Kotori nodded in response, walking towards the airship's as the otheers followed behind her before being teleported directly to the ship's bridge.

"—What's the situation?" 

Once Kotori and Syouji arrived at the bridge, Syouji immediately moved forward, swiftly undoing the button on her military-uniform jacket, hanging it loosely around her shoulders. She abruptly extended her bare right hand to one side as Kannazuki advanced forward while holding an opened case of lollipops. 

Kotori gratefully nodded, tearing the candy wrapper before putting the sweet treat into her mouth while sitting down in her captain seat. Whereupon, Shidou couldn't help but admire the swift and graceful flow of their movements. 

Kannazuki then explained what happened during their absence. Apparently they were invaded by enemies and were able to use the items present in the bridge. Moreover, it seems Syouji's picture of the young Itsuka Kotori served as an inspiration for them to not lose the battle so naturally, they were able to fend of the invaders causing Maria to reasses.

"And the situation in the field?" Kotori asked with a lollipop in her mouth.

"At the moment, one Arbatel-type aerial warship is hovering above the base. Approximately 120 wizards have infiltrated the base. 21 confirmed casualties have been confirmed, which include technical personel and 182 have taken refuge."