Volume 3 - Chapter 29 - Cosmic War

"Mukuro" Syouji called out.

Hoshimiya Mukuro. A young girl with flowing golden hair that was longer than her frame and a fluttering constellation themed dress, gently drifted in the vast vacuum of space.

Emotion had ceased to exist on her innocent face. Her pair of golden eyes still viewing the world without a hint of interest.

"......Hm." Mukuro spoke.

"Thou art pestilence at its core and poor remembrance to add. Dost thou ever give up?"

"Yeah. I'm a pest who won't give up and accept other people's feelings." Syouji shrugged.

"Well, he can be pretty annoying..." Shidou uttered with a wry smile as Mukuro sighed again.

"And what art thou doing? Dost thou wish to seal Muku as well?" Mukuro asked as Shidou nodded.

"Whatever it takes to." Shidou said, fist bumping with Syouji.

When they did that, although she could not find it in herself to harbor any disgust towards, him it did not mean that she didn't.

Mukuro displayed absolutely no emotion, be it malice or kindness. 

"Shidou... Are you ready to take down her Angel?" 

Upon Syouji's question, Shidou shot a glance at the key shaped staff held in the palm of her hand.

It was the Angel <Michael>, which possessed the ability to seal the functions of any object its tip stabbed into with a single turn of its bow.

According to Mukuro, she utilized that power on herself, locking away her own heart.

From that outcome, Joy, anger, sadness or any other emotions were sealed away.

Mukuro who had forfeited everything to drift in the blanket of the cosmos was interfered and unobserved by anyone.

That's why Syouji returned after being rejected, bringing his brother with him.

"Be it so, what bids thee to return, though the present thee flickers not?" Mukuro tilted her head and questioned.

"That should be obvious. I'm not a hologram. I came to talk to you face to face."

"Nonsense. Being drawn to your hypocrisy confounds Muku. Muku hath not sought salvation—"

"—You're wrong." Syouji cut into Mukuro's words in a stern voice, firmly staring into her eyes, he continued.

"I didn't come to talk to the current you. I came to talk to the previous you, the real Hoshimiya Mukuro whose heart isn't locked by <Michael>."

"...Huh?" Mukuro gave a snort of disapproval without the slightest change of expression.

"Ick. Dost thou believe Muku's selfhood? Muku hath time and again quoth herself, yet thou refuses to stop. With what standing dost thou remark against Muku?"

"It's true, you have indeed said it before. But why did you lock your heart? I haven't really got a clear answer from you for this one question." With a confident smile, Syouji spoke as Shidou looked at him with a worried expression.

"Are you sure about this?" Shidou asked as Syouji nodded in response.

He then made a complicated expression as if he had realized something.

"Perjury lay not upon me. Ask thou why? Dispensable forfeiture, nay, and aspects of misfortune I say. I know not what I used to anymore."

In their previous conversation, Mukuro indeed stated that she sealed her own heart of her own will. However, like now, when she had been asked for the reason, she gave an ambiguous answer.