Chapter 17: Shadow

The entire area was covered in darkness. The only sounds were the wind echoing around the forest. A storm was starting to approach where he was walking. He wasn't particularly scared of the location he was in, as he'd sometimes prefer it that way. However, one thing he couldn't handle, was being to close to bright lights.

He heard the sound of thunder booming in the distance, meaning that lightning will begin as well. He ran to find a place to hide from the incoming storm.

He situated himself under a tree just as the rain started to pour down. He hoped the storm would pass by quickly. The storm slowly got worse and worse. The thunder started getting closer and louder. He shut his eyes tightly, hoping no lightning would strike near him. For a while nothing had happened.

He opened his eyes again. Suddenly a lightning bolt struck the tree he was under. This caused a bright light to flash in front of him. For a brief moment he saw a creature colored yellow with multiple floating appendages and multicolored eyes and a dragon like head. It let out a roar as thunder boomed and flashes of light intensified.

Marshadow shot up as he breathed fast. He looked around, seeing he was still in Jaydin and Reeka's dorm room. He saw Jaydin and Zoroark sleeping soundly next to him. He looked out the small window and saw the stars in the sky, which had no clouds in it.

'It was just a bad dream' he thought as he let out a sigh of relief.

He laid back down and snuggled up to Jaydin. He slowly drifted back to sleep.

The sun finally made its way up the Alolan horizon. Everyone slowly started to wake up. Jaydin saw Marshadow was clinging to him again. After seeing how many times Zoroark has clung to him in the morning, he knew why he was doing it.

'He had a bad dream...' Jaydin thought.

He gently stroked the top of his head. This made him start to stir. He slowly opened his eyes and saw Jaydin smiling at him.

"Good morning buddy" he said.

"Morning Jaydin..." he said tiredly.

"Did you have a bad dream?" Jaydin asked him with concern.

Marshadow looked sad as he buried his head into Jaydin's chest. This confirmed it for Jaydin.

"Hey it's okay buddy, it was just a bad dream" Jaydin said as he continued to stroke his head.

By this point Zoroark started to wake up. She saw Jaydin stroking Marshadow's head, said Pokemon looking sad. She knew what this meant. She offered to comfort Marshadow so Jaydin could shower and put on his uniform. Jaydin thanked Zoroark and handed her Marshadow. Zoroark's motherly instincts activated as soon as he entered her arms.

After showering and putting on his uniform, Reeka went to shower next. Jaydin returned to his Pokemon and saw the girls consoling Marshadow. Reeka's Pokemon were nearby and had sad faces as Marshadow shed a few tears. Duraludon came up to Jaydin.

"He had that nightmare again" he said with sadness.

Jaydin grew sad upon hearing that. He instantly knew what nightmare Duraludon was referring to.

'It makes sense why he's so afraid of that Pokemon. After all, it's practically everything that could harm a Pokemon like him' Jaydin thought.

Reeka emerged from the bathroom. She saw all the Pokemon around Marshadow.

"What's going on?" She asked.

"Marshadow had a nightmare, the one that scares him the most" Jaydin answered.