🏵️ Chapter Twenty-One : Unspoken Truths

UNSPOKEN TRUTHS

UNSPOKEN TRUTHS

Monday, March 29th, 1980

The next day, Lisa made her way to the neurology unit, determined to visit Jeongguk's ward.

As she entered the corridor, Taehyun was spotted at the nurses' station, clad in his green scrub and surgical cap, engaged in conversation with the nursing staff.

His eyes briefly flicked towards the entrance when Lisa walked in, a hint of surprise crossing his features.

He hadn't expected to see her there.

Despite the nurses' greetings, Lisa didn't notice Taehyun's presence as she made her way down the corridor.

It was Hyun who caught her attention, stepping out of a room and directing her to Jeongguk's ward, which happened to be room 10.

Unbeknownst to Lisa, Taehyun had just finished checking up on Jeongguk regarding his headache.

As Lisa smiled at Hyun and entered the room, Taehyun watched her with curiosity, wondering what had brought her to the neurology unit and if it had anything to do with Jeongguk.

Inside the room, Jeongguk was engaged in conversation with one of his former Marine captains, who had come to offer words of encouragement and support.

They spoke earnestly, discussing Jeongguk's progress and the challenges he faced.

As Lisa and Hyun entered, they turned to them with a smile, the captain nodding in acknowledgment. "I'll leave you to it," he said, rising from his seat. "Remember, Jeongguk, you're stronger than you think."

Jeongguk nodded gratefully, his expression reflecting determination. "Thank you, sir," he replied, his voice filled with resolve.

With a final nod, the captain and Hyun exited the room, leaving Jeongguk and Lisa alone to continue their conversation.

"What brings you here?" He asked with a smile on his face.

Lisa approached him with a smile, taking a seat beside his bed. "I just wanted to check in on you, see how you're doing," she replied gently.

Jeongguk's smile widened. "I'm doing okay, I guess. Just trying to make sense of everything," he admitted, his gaze drifting back to the window.

Lisa studied his expression, sensing the weight of his thoughts. "It's okay to take your time," she reassured him. "Healing isn't always linear."

Jeongguk nodded, appreciating her words of encouragement. "Thanks, Lisa. It means a lot to me that you're here. I wish we could spend time outside."

As they sat together, a comfortable silence enveloped them, broken only by the soft hum of medical equipment in the background.

After a moment, Jeongguk turned his gaze back to Lisa, a curious expression on his face. "You know, I've been thinking about what you said the other day, about Julia," he began, his tone hesitant.

Lisa's heart skipped a beat, unsure of where the conversation was headed. "Oh?" she prompted, trying to keep her tone light.

"Yeah," Jeongguk continued, a furrow forming between his brows. "I can't shake the feeling that there's something I'm missing, something important."

Lisa's stomach churned with unease, knowing that she couldn't keep the truth from him forever. "Jeongguk, I think it's important that we talk about Julia," she said gently, her voice tinged with apprehension.

Jeongguk's expression turned serious, his gaze searching hers. "What about her? Is there something you're not telling me?" he asked, his voice tinged with a hint of urgency.

Lisa hesitated, grappling with her inner turmoil.

She knew that the truth would inevitably come out, but she wasn't sure if it was the right time.

Still, she couldn't bear to see him in the dark about such an important part of his life.

Finally, she took a deep breath, steeling herself for what she had to say. "There's something you need to know about her," she began, her voice steady despite the tremble in her heart. "But it's not an easy thing to talk about."

Jeongguk's eyes widened with anticipation, his expression a mix of apprehension and curiosity. "What is it, Lisa? What are you telling me?"

Lisa met his gaze, her own eyes brimming with emotion. "Julia... she's..." she trailed off, unable to find the words to convey the truth.

Before she could continue, the door to the room swung open, interrupting their conversation.

Hyun stepped inside, a concerned look on his face.

"Sorry to interrupt," he said, his gaze flicking between Lisa and Jeongguk. "But the doctor needs to run some tests on Jeongguk. Are you okay with that?"

Jeongguk nodded, though his eyes remained fixed on Lisa, a silent plea for her to finish what she had started.

Lisa gave him a reassuring smile, her heart heavy with the weight of what she had to reveal before following Hyun out of the room.

As they walked down the corridor, Lisa couldn't shake the feeling of guilt that gnawed at her conscience.

She knew that she couldn't keep the truth from Jeongguk any longer, but she dreaded the pain it would inevitably bring.

Meanwhile, Jeongguk lay back on his hospital bed, his mind awash with questions and uncertainty.

He knew that whatever Lisa had to tell him about Julia, it would change everything.

And he wasn't sure if he was ready to face the truth.

As Lisa hesitated, on the brink of revealing the truth about Julia to Jeongguk, Hyun's heart skipped a beat.

He knew all too well the impact that news could have on his brother, especially in his fragile state.

With a sense of urgency, Hyun stepped forward, placing a gentle hand on Lisa's arm to catch her attention.

His eyes met hers, silently pleading for her understanding.

He said in a hushed tone, his voice tinged with urgency. "I know you mean well, but... Jeongguk isn't ready to hear about Julia. Not yet. And we talked about this yesterday."

Lisa looked at him, her expression filled with uncertainty.

"I know," she whispered, her voice barely audible. "But he deserves to know the truth, doesn't he?"

Hyun sighed, torn between his desire to protect his brother and his longing for honesty. "Yes, he does," he admitted reluctantly. "But not like this. Not when he's still recovering, still trying to piece together his memories."

Lisa didn't reply. She felt the weight of guilt settling heavily upon her shoulders.

Why couldn't she just keep things to herself?

Why did she feel compelled to reveal the truth?