🏵️ Chapter Twenty-Three : Familial Strains

FAMILIAL STRAINS

FAMILIAL STRAINS

As Lisa entered the dining room, she took her usual seat next to her mother, feeling a sense of unease to settle over her.

The seating arrangement mirrored their previous dinner at the Jung family house, with Mr. Kym is now seated in the middle and Mr. Jung on the left side.

Lisa couldn't shake the feeling that something was about to happen, and she wondered if Mr. or Mrs. Kym was aware of Jennie's unexpected arrival.

As they settled into their seats, Mrs. Kym greeted Lisa warmly, her smile strained but welcoming. "Lisa, dear, it's lovely to see you again. How have you been?"

Lisa forced a smile in return, her stomach churning with apprehension. "I've been well, thank you," she replied, her voice steady despite her inner turmoil.

Meanwhile, Mr. Kym's demeanor was polite but reserved, his gaze lingering on Lisa for a moment longer than necessary before turning to engage in conversation with Mr. Jung.

She glanced around the table, but Taehyun was nowhere to be seen.

His absence only added to her growing unease.

"Where's Taehyun?" Mr. Kym inquired, his brow furrowing with concern.

"He's on his way," Mrs. Kym reassured him, though her tone held a hint of worry. "Lisa, you tried knocking on his door, right?"

Lisa nodded, her own concern growing as the minutes ticked by. "Yes, I did. He should be downstairs any moment now."

As they waited, Mrs. Kym's anxiety began to mount. "Why isn't he down here yet? Dinner is almost ready to be served," she fretted, starting to rise from her seat.

Seokjin intervened, placing a calming hand on his mother's arm. "Mom, it's alright. I'll go get him," he offered, rising from his seat and heading towards the door.

Before Seokjin could make his exit, however, Taehyun entered the room alone, his expression somber and distant.

Dressed in a crisp white polo shirt and black jeans, Taehyun's appearance belied the tension that seemed to hang in the air around him.

Lisa's gaze flickered to him, but Taehyun avoided her eye, his attention focused on his family and the Jung's as he offered a brief apology for his tardiness.

Seokjin shot his younger brother a frustrated glance before rejoining his wife, Jisoo, at the table, while Taehyun took his place beside Mrs. Kym, his demeanor subdued and distant.

Seokjin leaned towards him, his voice low but firm. "You need to respect the guests and be on time next time," he chided, his frustration evident.

Taehyun bristled at his brother's reprimand, his jaw tensing with suppressed irritation.