🏵️ Chapter Thirty-One : About The Past

ABOUT THE PAST

ABOUT THE PAST

Tuesday, April 20th, 1980.

Jeongguk stirred from his slumber, his hair tousled from a night's rest.

A stream of sunlight filtered through the window, casting a warm glow across his face as he sat up in bed.

Taking in his surroundings, he felt a twinge of discomfort in his back.

With a soft groan, he rose from the bed, stretching his muscles to ease the stiffness.

Ever since being discharged from the hospital after nearly two months, Jeongguk hasn't yet returned to his duties in the marine service.

Then, Jeongguk decided to take a quick shower before heading to the kitchen for breakfast.

Once he was done, he slipped into a black tee shirt and long sweatpants. Running a towel through his damp hair, he took a moment to glance around his room.

His eyes landed on a framed picture hanging on the wall, capturing a moment with his comrades in their military uniform.

He smiled nostalgically as he looked at the photo, recalling the good times with his comrades, even though he couldn't remember everything clearly.

Surveying the rest of his room, he noted the minimalistic décor and the few books neatly arranged on his desk.

Jeongguk left his towel draped over the back of his chair and made his way out of his room, intending to find Hyun.

However, when he stepped outside, he realized that Hyun had already left for work; Hyun owned and managed the nearby bookstore.

Disappointed that he missed his brother, Jeongguk wandered into the kitchen, where he found a breakfast prepared for him.

There was a bowl of hearty doenjang jjigae, a traditional Korean soybean paste stew filled with vegetables and tofu, known for its nourishing qualities and believed to aid in recovery.

Alongside it was a plate of freshly steamed rice and a variety of banchan, including kimchi and pickled vegetables.

Jeongguk smiled appreciatively at the thoughtful gesture and sat down to enjoy his meal.

After finishing his breakfast, he decided to explore the living room and searched through cupboards and drawers, hoping to uncover something of interest.

Eventually, his efforts paid off when he stumbled upon a pack of newspapers tucked away in one corner.

As he examined the newspapers, he noticed that they dated back three years, to 1977.

However, what caught his attention was the fact that Hyun had meticulously kept newspapers from every day since then, spanning from January to April of the current year, 1980.