An angel's meltdown. ₀₁

-ραเɳ

-ραเɳ... Charlie MorningStar awoke in a daze, her last memories a blur of pain and chaos. She struggled to open her eyes, her vision slowly coming into focus on an unfamiliar scene of white and blue. This was clearly not the hotel where the confrontation had occurred - so where was she? 

   Charlie bolted upright, taking in her strange surroundings. It slowly dawned on her - could this be heaven? How had she ended up here after the clash with Lute and Adam? Frantic for answers, Charlie leapt from the bed, throwing open the door to peer outside. 

    The empty halls and grounds offered no clues. Seeing the seraphim Emily nearby, Charlie rushed over (although a bit limp), desperate for an explanation of how she had come to be in this heavenly realm when her last memories were of violence and death.

"Emily!" She limped over to the angel.

    "Charlie!" She embraced the former demon tightly. "You shouldn't be up yet. You need to lie back down."

   Charlie looked at Emily, confusion and hurt mingling on her face, as she took another look around heaven. All she saw were angels....a lot of angels.

"What do you mean I'm not supposed to be up yet?"

Emily sighed.

   "You...were killed." As Charlie opened her mouth to speak, Emily pressed a finger to her lips. "I know how that sounds! I don't know how it happened either." 

She dropped her hand. "But yes...you ended up in heaven after you died...or atleast I think you died? I don't really know how you got here..."

Charlie looked around heaven, still heavily processing everything.

"I'm...technically dead?.." Charlie mumbled.

Emily noded.

"And I ended up..in heaven?" She asked in an even more confused tone. 

"Yeah!" Emily smiled. "This proves your theory!"

Theory? What theory?

   As if reading her mind, she answered her. "Sinners can get into heaven!" She grabbed onto Charlie's hands. "I've seen two end up here!"

"But.." Charlie started. "I'm immortal...how am I dead?" She thought out loud.

Wait...did she say 'two'?

   "I...don't know." Emily frowned. "But! I'm sure I can figure it out!" She squeezed Charlie's hands as a sign of comfort. "Or you can lead the way and I help from the side lines!"

Charlie nodded in response.

   Charlie gave her a weak smile. "Yeah...let's go figure this out together." She leaned onto Emily for support. She had pain that, until now, she was unaware of.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pissed, Lute hurled her spare weapon at a photo of Charlie and the others, hitting her in the head.

   "Calm down, Lute," Sera said, watching the exorcist warily to ensure she didn't lose control entirely. 

"How can that demonic bi-...wench be here?!" Lute demanded, trying not to cuss in front of her higher up.

   With a sigh, Sera responded, "No one knows... After you seemingly eliminated her, she still somehow ended up here."

Lute unleashed a scream of fury, as she was getting more and more upset. "I was sure I had permanently gotten rid of that bitch!"

"Lute," Sera said, raising her voice slightly, annoyed.

"Sorry, Ms. Sera," she said, bowing to the seraphim.

"It's quite alright," she replied, though she still appeared bothered.

Grabbing the spare from the photo, she scoffed, "Can I somehow kill the bitch again?!"

"Lute!"

   "Ugh!" Lute stomped her foot. "Fuck you! I'm doing what I want!" She spoke boldly at first, but faltered when she realized who she was addressing. "Ms. Sera, I-"

"Go do your job. I need to contemplate your position as an angel," Sera interjected.

"Ms. Sera please-"

"I'm afraid I've heard quite enough. I said, go do your job." 

Lute sighed. "Okay.."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lute was far from a perfect angel and everyone knew that. Even Adam knew that...so why did he be friends with her? Why did he love her?

She was throwing things all around the place, and yelling at anyone who would listen.

How could he leave her? She depended on him. She cared about him. She loved him.

Eventually this caught the attention of the very seraphim she was trying to allow. She let the rest of her meltdown go, as if it became a lump in her throat. 

"Ms.Sera you don't understand-"

"You are hereby removed from the angels of heaven. It's clear you can't handle the responsibility that comes with being an angel.

"Wait please!-"

...

The last thing Lute remembered was an aching pain coming from her back and the sound of her glowing halo now disappearing.

Everything hurt.....