It's not fair.₁₁

The room was cold, dimly lit, and smelled of old books and stale incense

The room was cold, dimly lit, and smelled of old books and stale incense. The angel, Charlie, sat huddled on a hard wooden bench, her wings folded tightly around her, trying to warm herself. Her eyes were red from crying, her face pale and drawn. 

She looked as if she hadn't slept in days.The only light came from a single candle flickering on a rickety old table in the corner. Its wavering flame cast eerie shadows on the bare stone walls, making the room feel even more claustrophobic. Charlie's chains rattled softly as she shifted on the bench, trying to find a more comfortable position.

Suddenly, the door creaked open and a figure stepped into the room. It was Sera, an angel of a higher rank. Charlie tried to stand up, but her chains held her down. Sera's expression was cold and disdainful as she surveyed the pitiful figure before her.

"Well, well, look who's back," she drawled, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "I thought we might have gotten rid of you for good." Charlie said nothing, only lowered her head in shame. "You know," Sera continued, "you should be grateful. We could have just left you to rot in that filthy prison cell." She took a step closer, and Charlie flinched. "But no, we gave you a second chance at redemption." Her voice grew harsh. "And what have you done with it?"

Charlie looked up, her eyes brimming with tears. "I-I'm trying, Sera. I really am. I just need more time. Please, don't send me back." Sera laughed, a cruel and mocking sound.

"Time? Hah! You've had enough time. You've been here for weeks, and you've barely made any progress." She gestured around the room. "This place is full of lost souls, all crying out for help, all waiting for you to save them. And what do you do? You hide in here, moping around like a pathetic child." She spat the words out, her anger now fully unleashed. "You're a disgrace to your kind, Charlie. A waste of potential."

Charlie flinched under the onslaught of Sera's words, tears streaming down her face. "I'm sorry, Sera. I'm trying so hard. I just need more time, please."

Sera laughed, a harsh, mocking sound. "More time? You've had more time than any of us could possibly give you. But you know what?" She stepped closer, her voice dropping to a low, menacing growl. "I'm done with you. I've had enough of your pathetic excuses. You want to know what's going to happen to you?"

Charlie trembled, her heart pounding in her chest. "W-what?" she stammered.

Sera's face twisted into a cruel smile. "You're going back. Back to that filthy prison cell. Back to the life you chose. And this time, Charlie, I want you to think long and hard about what you've become. Because when you finally find your way back here, I expect you to be different. I expect you to be stronger, wiser, and more prepared to face the truth about yourself."

With that, Sera turned on her heel and walked out of the room, leaving Charlie alone with her thoughts and her chains. The rattle of the door closing seemed to echo through the room, as if it were the sound of the angel's hopes and dreams shattering into a million pieces.

Time seemed to slow down as she sat there, trapped in her own mind, reliving the harsh words Sera had spoken and the hopelessness she felt. She thought about the countless souls she had tried to help, only to fail them time and time again. She thought about the lives she had ruined, the pain she had caused, and the guilt that weighed down upon her like a leaden blanket.

As the hours passed, the light that streamed in through the narrow window grew dimmer, casting long shadows across the cold, damp stones of the cell floor. Charlie shivered, her body wracked with chills despite the stifling heat. She wondered if she would ever be free from this cycle of despair, if there was any point to trying anymore.

Eventually, a guard appeared at the cell door, his expression unreadable. Without a word, he unlocked the door and motioned for her to follow him. Charlie rose unsteadily to her feet, her chains clanking as she stepped into the hallway. She had no idea where she was being taken, but she knew that wherever it was, it could only mean one thing: more time in exile.

As she trudged down the endless corridors, her steps growing heavier with each passing moment, she tried to steel herself for whatever lay ahead. But no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't shake the feeling that this time, she was truly alone. There was no one left to help her, no one left to believe in her. She was utterly and completely lost.

The journey seemed to last forever, but eventually, they arrived at their destination. It was a small, windowless room, devoid of any furniture save for a single wooden chair. Charlie's heart sank as she realized that this was her new home. The guard unlocked her chains and pushed her roughly into the chair, before securing them once more around her wrists.

As the heavy metal clamp bit into her skin, Charlie slumped forward, her forehead resting on her knees. She was trapped once more, alone with her thoughts and her regrets. The only thing that kept her going was the faint hope that one day, she might find her way back to redemption. But for now, all she could do was wait, and wonder, and pray that someday, someone would hear her cry for help.

She was stuck here until Extermination Day.