~Chapter 28: Effie's News~

***Peeta***

Effie visited several hours ago and she left me nervous. I need to see Katniss now more than ever. All I can think of is the conversation I had with her. It's still fresh in my mind. I felt like we just had it a couple minutes ago.

_Flashback_

"Hello darling! I'm so glad you've woken up. Don't ever frighten me like that again," Effie says while leaving the door open and sitting in a blue chair next to my bed.

I turn to my right and ask, "Hi Effie. How have you been?"

She looks at me confused and then asks, "You don't know, do you?"

I ask worriedly, "About what?"

She looks away as if she's deciding if she should tell me what she's thinking about or not. She looks different now. She has aged over the years. She's wearing a bit of makeup, has her short hair in curls, and is wearing a dull blue dress.

"About Katniss," she says waking me up.

"No! I don't know anything about her. I haven't seen her since I woke up. Is she all right?" I sit up and look straight at Effie.

She hesitates and says, "I'm not the person to tell you."

"Then who is?" Harley anybody visits me. How will I know? Who's the chosen person to tell me? Just tell me!" I breathe heavily as my heart beats fast. I want to know but at the same time I'm frightened.

After what seems like hours she says,"Alright! Just try not to freak out." She then mumbles to herself, "They're going to kill me."

"Tell me already Effie, please!" I wait for her to say something.

"Okay. Just calm down please," she says quietly.I calm down and nod my head for her to continue. She bites her lips and looks out the door and then back at me.

For a second I thought she was going to run away but then she says, "Katniss is not healthy."She didn't even look at me. She starred at her hands and sighed.

"Is that it? I already know that."

I felt relieved, until she opened her mouth."No, there's more. The day you told her to leave she went home and to room. She kept complaining and shouting until she couldn't breathe. They took her to the hospital, she was alive but unconscious. She only woke up once after that, and that day she kept asking for questions and shouting until she became unconscious, again. The doctor says she's very critical so they're going to transfer her here tomorrow."

 The whole time Effie avoided my eyes, until the end.I don't say anything. I'm speechless. Is she that critical that she needs to be transferred here? Effie looks at me confused. I rudely say to her face, "WHAT!?"