~Chapter 20: Escaping the Hospital for a Plant~

***Katniss***                                

“Katniss?”

“Yes Peeta?”

“Wake up.”

“Why?”

“We’re going to save our baby?”

     I feel like this is a dream. Peeta would never let me go into the woods. He wouldn’t let me go because he would think I was in danger, especially since I had an operation lately. I open my eyes and see Peeta.

“Is this true?”

“What?”

“Is there a chance the baby can live?”

“Well, a small chance.”

“I want to go.”

“Okay, but nobody can see us.”

“Why.”

“Because I’d be in trouble.”

“Oh. The honest sweet Peeta is going to be known as a bad boy?”

     He smiles and holds out his hand to me. I grab it and put my arm over his shoulder. My feet feel weak, as if they were sticks that were about to break.

     We walk out the door and Peeta’s eyes dart right, then left. It’s empty though. So we just walk through the middle of the hall.

     “I’m telling you. That baby is going to die. Haymitch is drinking again so I’m sure he will not be able to get the cure for the child. I guarantee you the girl will die today at dark.”

      I freeze and wish I had my bow and arrow to shoot him. He’s sure that my baby will die. He’s sure Haymitch will not find the cure. He’s so sure, that I want to cry. I clench my hand into a fist and dig my nails into my skin. It stings but the pain inside me won’t leave.  

     Peeta carries me in his arms and runs back to the way where we came from. He turns right into a room. Peeta closes the door with his foot and then puts me down slowly. We hear the shoes squeaking until they leave.

“Are you Katniss Everdeen?”

I look behind me to see a girl. She has bags under her eyes but she is really young. She has brown hair in a messy pointy tail, green eyes, and pale skin.

“Yes I am,” I say walking slowly towards her.