~Chapter 14: Baby Tragedy~

***Katniss***

         Dead and alive are two different things. Your alive, that just means that when you’re older you have to be frightened death. I was frightened of death the moment I fell, the moment I arrived at the hospital and the moment I was on the operation table listening to the last words, to Peeta and Gale shout at each other.

        I was so relieved when I woke up. I see that I’m in a hospital room and I’m also wearing a hospital gown. I look at my side to see a machine that watches, or counts my beat. I hear it beeping. I hear a baby crying and I try to stand up, but I’m too weak. I think I got stitches. I lighten up at the thought that maybe my baby is alive.

       Or maybe Peeta told the doctor to make me live instead of the baby. No, Peeta would never do that. Or would he? I widen my eyes at the thought that my baby is dead. 

“Where is my baby?” I scream.

      I hear footsteps moving but nobody appears in the room. I scream it again and I hear some footsteps out on my door. The door opens to a normal looking Dr.Lean. 

He says calmly, “Hello Katniss. How do you feel?”

I reply, “Where is my baby?”

“Well, she’s alive.” He says.

I open my mouth to talk but he says, “But, she is sick.”

I say calmly as I possibly can, “Of what?”

“She has a fever. It’s really strong, and I’m afraid to say she might die.”

       My eyes widen as he says those words. I breathe loudly and stay with my jaw opened. I break down and start to cry. At first a tear just falls down my cheek. The doctor says something but I ignore him. I just have the thought of my baby on my mind. I realize I’m crying, tear after tear until I can’t see.

“I want to see her.” I say.

He replies, “I can’t let you do that.”

I take a deep breath and say, “I went through the hunger games. I killed people and watched my loved ones die. I survived but went through hell. My district was destroyed. I watched my sister die! I watched year after year as the capitol forced kids to fight to the death. I went to the capitol and watched my team mates die! The capitol is defeated and it was all because of me! You wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t the sign of the rebels! I started it by some stupid berries and ended it by going to the capitol! I am the Mockingjay! And you’re telling me I can’t even see my baby! No! You listen to me! I am going with to see my baby if you like it, or not!”

His eyes widen and he says, “Umm….yes mam, you can see your child. But please don’t get near her. You might get sick and I don’t want that.”

I squint my eyes at him and say, “I’m Katniss and I can get near my baby if I want!”

“B-“

“No buts! I’m hugging my baby even if it means dying!”

      He rushes outside as I wait for him. I just realized how much power I have. I should start using it more often. I start to laugh but stop by the pain. A nurse comes in a while later and helps me get in a wheel chair. She takes me to where my baby is. 

I say, “Get me closer please.”

      She does as I say. My baby is in an incubator. I touch the sides of it. I ask

“What is it?”

The nurse laughs and replies, “A baby of course!”

“The gender!” I shout.

She stops laughing and says, “Sorry. The gender is a female.”

I whisper, “A girl, a baby girl.”

       I was about to ask if I could hold her. I know I can’t because you can tell her arm is broken. She’s really red, maybe because of the fever. She’s sweating. But it won’t hurt to ask. The machine that shows the beat of your heart is beating faster. I turn around and ask,

“What’s happening?”

      Her heart is beating faster and faster. She’s…..she’s dying!

“Nurse. My baby! Don’t just stand there! Go get a doctor!” 

        I must sound rude but my baby is dying! I turn around as Dr. Lean walks in the room with two other nurses. A nurse starts taking me out of the room as Dr. Lean looks at the baby. He turns to the nurse next to him and nods his head and says she won’t make it. The door closes behind me as I scream hysterically. I shout, 

“Let me see my baby! Please nurse! I need to be with her! Please.”

       I try to stand up. But I just get up to my feet and start to fall, but the nurse catches me. She’s pretty tall and strong if I say so myself. I scream of the pain. Then I just start crying again.

      She lays me on my hospital bed and all I can do is cry. I cry and cry. I just want to cry until my eye balls fall out! I hate life! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, I just hate it hate it!”

      Peeta walks in. I wipe my tears because I don’t want him to see me cry. He walks to me slowly. Then he sits next to me and starts kissing me. I don’t stop, because of the thought that I almost could have died and never kissed his lips again, his warm soft lips. My mom intrupts us saying,

“Katniss.”

        Peeta  backs away as my mom walks forward to me. She’s been crying. I can tell by the tears in her puffy red eyes. She smiles and starts crying. She hugs me and says,

“I thought you were going to die. If you died I would have died!”

“Don’t say that mom!” I say.

“It’s true. I already lost my Prim. Not you! No, you’re my life! I’m going to visit you more often, at least once a week!”

       Then I remember my baby! I say, “My baby is dying! I went to see her and when I left I hear Dr. Lean saying to a nurse she’s not going to make it! If she dies I’ll kill myself! It’s my fault for not taking care of her!”

She hugs me and Peeta joins in. All I can do is cry. Then Mr. Lean walks in. He seems sad. He says, “I have bad news-“

      Cliff hanger!!!! What will happen with the baby? Is she dead? Is that the bad news? Will Katniss kill herself? What will Peeta do!? What will Willow, Rye, and Clarisse do? What will everybody else do? What about Gale? Will he try to win Katniss back? Will Katniss take the news? You never know…….the baby might just die and Katniss might die by the news. Or will she????? Just vote, follow, and comment. Just takes four minutes! You can do that!!!! Don’t be lazy :^P Okay.Let’s wait to see is the baby…….DIES!!!!!!!(UNTIL NEXT UPDATE IN PEETA’S POINT OF VIEW!!!!!!!)