Dawn

Chapter 32 - Dawn

At first, there was only darkness. A thick, heavy void that seemed to stretch on for eternity. I floated in the abyss, lost and disoriented. Time seemed to stand still, each second stretching into an eternity.

But then, slowly, I began to feel. A dull ache, a slow throb of pain in my abdomen. The sensation was distant, as if coming from very far away. But it was there, a steady reminder of my existence.

I tried to open my eyes, to push past the heavy weight of unconsciousness that held me captive. But it was a struggle, a battle against the stubborn darkness that clung to me.

After what felt like an eternity, I finally managed to force my eyes open. Bright light flooded my vision, blinding and disorientating. For a moment, I was overwhelmed, my senses overloaded. But then, slowly, I began to adjust.

The first thing I saw was a white ceiling, sterile and unremarkable. I blinked a few times, clearing my blurry vision. The dull ache in my abdomen had grown into a sharp pain, pulling me further out of the darkness.

I tried to sit up, to move, but my body felt heavy and unresponsive. A soft groan escaped my lips, the sound echoing in the quiet room.

"Malta?"

I turned my head towards the sound, my eyes landing on a familiar figure. Luigi was sitting by my bedside, his eyes wide with shock and relief.

"Luigi," I croaked, my voice rough and shaky.

He reached out, taking my hand in his. "Oh, Malta," he whispered, his voice filled with so much emotion. "You're awake. You're finally awake."

I squeezed his hand, the simple action sending waves of pain through my body. But I didn't care. I was awake. I was alive.

"I'm... I'm okay," I managed to say, my voice barely a whisper.

Luigi's eyes filled with tears, his grip on my hand tightening. "You were in a coma, Malta," he said, his voice shaking. "You've been out for a month."

A month. The word echoed in my mind, a stark reminder of the time I had lost. A month in the abyss, a month of nothingness. It felt like mere seconds.

"I'm... I'm so sorry, Luigi," I whispered, tears welling in my eyes. "I didn't mean to... to scare you."

Luigi shook his head, a sad smile tugging at his lips. "You have nothing to apologize for, Malta," he said gently. "I'm just... I'm just so relieved you're awake."

I gave him a small smile, the action sending a jolt of pain through my face. But I didn't care. I was here, with Luigi, and I was alive. That was all that mattered.

"The doctors said they didn't know if you would ever wake up, but I knew you would. You are a fighter" Luigi said, holding my hand and giving it a squeeze.

"Thank you, Luigi," I replied, my voice barely more than a whisper. "For believing in me."

His eyes were glassy as he nodded, a single tear escaping and trailing down his cheek. "Always, Malta," he promised. "I'll always believe in you."

Struggling to rise, I felt the weakness consume my entire body. A low grunt escaped my lips, reflecting the frustration and exhaustion I felt. Luigi extended his arms in an attempt to support me if I managed to sit up. However, my feeble state prevented me from mustering the necessary strength.

"It's important to take things slow," Luigi advised gently. Recognizing my discomfort, he carefully arranged some soft pillows behind me, offering a bit of elevation for added comfort.