Chapter 12

Zeke was tied up. On the ground. He thought the worst was over until he managed to roll over and saw a group of arrows flying towards him. He had to act fast and get the ropes off of him. He used he sword to reach behind himself and cut the ropes on his chest and then he reached down and then he cut the ropes on his legs. He was about to run off until the arrows surrounded him completely. They became enlarged with drapes blocking Zeke's vision. He thought he could just easily get out, until th air was filled with Enoch's mocking laughter. This made him on edge as he got his sword ready. Enoch's shadow appeared behind each drape, indicating that from either one, he could attack him out of nowhere.

Enoch: Where am I, Zachaias? Where am I?

He heard more of his laughter.

Zeke: You better come out from the hiding, coward. You can't hide forever.

Enoch: Oh, ain't the one who's the coward. And I ain't hidin' nothin'.

Zeke was still trying to hold his ground, despite his heart beating.

Zeke: I'm not afraid of you!

Enoch: Naw, but 'chu are 'fraid 'a somethin'. You know what Saul is capable of. You know what I'm capable of. That's why you tryin' ta run away.

All of a sudden, Enoch jumped out from behind one of the drapes, behind Zeke, about to attack him. Zeke sensed him coming, and deflected his swords and flipped him over, about to cut him, until Enoch got out of his hold and pushed him away.

Enoch: You still think you can run away, forever?

Zeke started looking down, beginning to doubt himself.

Enoch: You see? 'Cause you know no matter how hard you try, it always comes back around to getcha.

Zeke: (intrigued) How do you know?

Enoch: 'Cause we ain't so different. After all.

Zeke: What do you mean?

Enoch: My father was a criminal. He taught me how to fight dirty. But in his eyes, his own family meant nothing to him. Not even when I suffered fatal wounds that almost ended my life. My mother would've given us a better life if he didn't take hers. You know how that feels, don't you?

Zeke felt remorse for him, because he did know the feeling.

Zeke: Yeah, I do. So, what'd you do?

Enoch: Made sure he got what he deserved. I would've died if it wasn't for my brother and the academy fixin' up my body. The one thing that couldn't be fixed was the hurt that still lies deep down, today. And it's what's been drivin' me ever since.

Zeke: If we aren't so different, then why are you working for Saul? You know what he's like. Who do you think he'll kill next?

Enoch: You think I don't know what Saul's like? All he cares about is keeping the natural order. Keeping everyone in line just for his own benefit, and I ain't about that. As soon bring you and the little shawty's heads on a silver platter, Imma add Saul's head to the collection.

Zeke: (confused) What?

Enoch: Oh yeah. Him and all his followers. And Imma bring his little crooked kingdom out on top. Imma teach my enemies not to mess with me. And Imma show my daddy, and Saul, that ain't the weak one.

Zeke: You are weak if you just let your hatred consume you like this. Enoch, you're a great warrior with skill. But you're writhing in pain from the wounds of your past. If I can give Asher a chance to be something better, I can do the same for you and your brother.

Enoch drew his weapons, ready to attack.

Enoch: Zacharias, the only you're doing for that boy is filling his head with empty promises.