Chapter 23

The arrival at their next stop brought a welcome break from the relentless pace of the tour. Instead of rushing straight to soundcheck, Taylor called a group meeting in their spacious hotel suite. The tension hung heavy in the air, a silent acknowledgment of the previous evening's awkwardness.

"Alright everyone," Taylor began, his voice laced with a nervous tremor, "I think we all know why we're here. Things haven't been easy lately, and I just wanted to see if we could..." he trailed off, searching for the right words. "See if we could find a way to move forward, together."

Walker's expression was serious as he listened to Taylor's words. He nodded slowly, his gaze thoughtful. "I agree, Taylor," he replied, his voice measured. "It's been a challenging time for all of us, but we need to find a way to navigate through this." He glanced around the room, the weight of the situation evident in his demeanor. "We can't change what's happened, but we can control how we move forward," he continued, his tone firm yet empathetic. "Let's aim for open communication and understanding."

Jessamyn, emboldened by the softening atmosphere and Walker's supportive words, chimed in hesitantly. "Maybe," she began, her voice still soft but gaining strength, "we could all try to see things from each other's perspectives.  It's a lot to ask, I know, but wouldn't it be nice if we could all feel comfortable being ourselves around each other?"  Her eyes darted between Sarah and Natalie, a silent plea for understanding in their depths.  "I just want a family," she whispered, her voice cracking slightly, "and that means figuring out how to be a family, even if it's a little...unconventional."

Natalie listened intently to Jessamyn's heartfelt words, her own emotions wavering between frustration and a growing sense of empathy. After a moment of thoughtful silence, she turned towards Sarah, her expression softening slightly despite the lingering tension.

"Sarah," Natalie began, her voice tinged with sincerity, "I want to apologize for how I've reacted to all of this. It's been a lot to process, and I haven't handled it well." She paused, her gaze meeting Sarah's with a hint of remorse. "I know I've been upset, but that doesn't excuse my behavior towards you. I'm sorry." Her words carried a weight of vulnerability, a reflection of the internal struggle she faced in reconciling her emotions with the desire for harmony within the group.

Sarah regarded Natalie with a mixture of relief and cautious optimism, touched by the sincerity in her apology. She took a moment to collect her thoughts before responding, her expression softening. "Thank you, Natalie," she replied, her tone gentle yet genuine. "I appreciate you saying that. This has been a lot for all of us, and I understand how emotions can run high." She paused, meeting Natalie's gaze with empathy. "I also want us to find a way forward together, for Jessamyn's sake and for all of us."

Taylor listened to Sarah's response, his expression thoughtful. He wanted to believe in the possibility of positive change, but the lingering doubts and uncertainties weighed heavily on him. As he contemplated the situation, a flicker of resolve crossed his features.

"I hope so too, Sarah," Taylor replied, his voice tinged with both hope and caution. "Let's take it one step at a time and see where it leads us." He glanced around the room, meeting the eyes of those gathered. "We're all in this together, and I believe we can find a way forward, even if it's not easy."

Walker considered the logistics of getting to know Jessamyn better after the tour, despite the distance between their homes. He turned to Sarah, a determined look in his eyes.

"Sarah, I know we're not close in proximity, but we want to be a part of Jessamyn's life," Walker began, his voice earnest. "Why don't we plan regular visits to Minnesota? Maybe we can come out every few months, or during holidays, to spend time together and strengthen our connection."

He glanced at Diana, who nodded in agreement. "We could also arrange video calls and stay in touch more regularly," she suggested, her tone warm. "We want to be involved, Sarah, and we're willing to make it work."

Walker's plan aimed to bridge the physical distance between them by prioritizing intentional visits and consistent communication, ensuring that they could actively participate in Jessamyn's life despite the geographical separation.

Taylor interjected, his expression conflicted as he processed the suggestion. "Hold on a second," he said, furrowing his brow. "I understand your intentions, but Jessamyn is my daughter too. I live in Tulsa with my wife and kids, and it's important for all of us to be together."

He looked at Sarah, his eyes conveying a mix of concern and determination. "Sarah, what if we tried to make this work with Jessamyn living with us in Tulsa?" Taylor suggested, his voice gentle yet firm. "We could provide her with stability and a sense of family right here."

Taylor's proposal aimed to address the challenge of distance by suggesting that Jessamyn live with them in Tulsa, creating a stable and nurturing environment where they could build a closer family bond.

" I am not walking away from my daughter, Taylor. I am her mom, not Natalie!" Sarah screamed.

To prevent their conversation from escalating into a fight, Diana steps in, her voice calm but firm. "Let's take a moment to breathe and listen to each other," she interjects, her gaze shifting between Sarah and Taylor. "We all want what's best for Jessamyn, and we need to find a way to work through this together." Her intervention aimed to diffuse the tension and refocus their discussion on constructive dialogue and understanding.

" And I wouldn't dream of taking your place,
Sarah. But we can give her a better live in Tulsa. I mean, you don't even have a job." Natalie said,
the insensitivity of it all hitting her like a slap.

The color drained from Sarah's face, replaced by a mixture of hurt and anger.

Jessamyn flinched, tears welling up in her eyes at the implication that her mother couldn't provide for her.

The comment hung heavy in the air, shattering the fragile progress they'd made and plunging the room back into a tense silence.  Shame flushed Natalie's cheeks as she realized the weight of her words, but the damage was done. The group stared at her, a mixture of disappointment and anger simmering beneath the surface. It was clear Natalie's insecurity and frustration had gotten the better of her, jeopardizing the newfound sense of hope for a peaceful resolution.