Chapter 29

With Emma as her guide, Jessamyn navigated the labyrinthine hallways, her initial apprehension slowly melting away. Emma expertly steered her through the throngs of students, pointing out her favorite teachers and hidden treasures like the well-stocked vending machine alcove. By the time they reached Jessamyn's first class, a comfortable camaraderie had begun to blossom between them.

Inside the classroom, introductions were made, and Jessamyn found herself surprised by the welcoming smiles and curious questions from her classmates. Throughout the day, Emma remained a constant source of support, whispering answers during tricky math problems and sharing funny anecdotes during a lull in history class. Lunchtime presented another hurdle, but Emma confidently led her to a table occupied by a few other friendly faces, quickly integrating Jessamyn into their conversation about the upcoming school play.

As the final bell rang, signaling the end of the day, Jessamyn emerged from the school feeling a newfound sense of optimism. The day hadn't been without its challenges, but with Emma by her side, she had conquered her initial nervousness and discovered a glimmer of hope for new friendships. Walking home alongside Emma, they chatted excitedly about the day's events, their laughter echoing through the quiet afternoon streets. For Jessamyn, the future, once shrouded in uncertainty, now held the promise of exciting possibilities and a chance to build a new chapter in her life, filled with friends, laughter, and the comforting embrace of a new beginning.

As Jessamyn recounted her day at school to her mom when she got home, Sarah listened with a mixture of relief and pride. Her heart swelled with happiness as she heard about Emma's support and the warm reception Jessamyn received from her classmates. It was a reassuring sign that their decision to relocate and start fresh was bearing fruit.

"That's wonderful to hear, sweetheart," Sarah said, her voice filled with genuine warmth. "I'm so proud of you for handling everything so well. It sounds like you've already made a great friend in Emma." She smiled, a sense of gratitude washing over her. "Starting at a new school can be tough, but it sounds like you're off to a fantastic start."

Jessamyn beamed, her eyes shining with excitement. "Yeah, Mom, I really like it here," she replied, her enthusiasm palpable. "I can't wait to go back tomorrow and see everyone again." She paused, her expression turning thoughtful. "Oh, and Mom, I also found out they're looking for volunteers for the school newspaper. I think I'm going to sign up!"

Sarah's heart swelled with pride at Jessamyn's enthusiasm for getting involved. "That's fantastic, honey!" she exclaimed, her smile widening. "I think you'd be amazing on the school newspaper." She reached out, gently squeezing Jessamyn's hand. "I'm glad you're settling in well. Remember, if there's anything you need or if anything comes up, I'm here for you, okay?"

Jessamyn nodded, a sense of contentment settling over her. "Thanks, Mom," she said, her voice filled with gratitude. "I'm really glad we moved here."

" Me too," Sarah said with a smile. " Now what would you like for dinner tonight? I've got both chicken and hamburger out."

After considering her options, Jessamyn grinned and replied, "I think I'm in the mood for chicken tonight, Mom." She glanced at Sarah, her eyes bright with anticipation. "Maybe we could make some grilled chicken with vegetables? That sounds really good."

Sarah returned her daughter's smile. "Grilled chicken with vegetables it is," she said, nodding. "That sounds like a delicious choice." Together, they headed to the kitchen, discussing the evening's dinner plans and enjoying the sense of warmth and connection that filled their home.

If there was one thing that Jessamyn was able to help Sarah with, it was eating healthier. Vegetables weren't something that Sarah loved, but she was doing her best to eat them. Broccoli was the only one she would not eat, as that was her least favorite. She would still make it for Jessamyn though.
———————————

The next day before school, Taylor arrived at Sarah and Jessamyn's home with breakfast sandwiches from McDonald's. He greeted them with a warm smile as he handed out the sandwiches. "Good morning, you two!" Taylor said cheerfully. "I thought we could start the day with a quick breakfast treat. Ready for another great day at school, Jessamyn?"

Jessamyn beamed at her dad's thoughtful gesture. "Thanks, Dad!" she exclaimed, accepting the sandwich. "Definitely ready for school today." She took a bite of her sandwich and nodded approvingly.

Sarah chuckled softly, grateful for Taylor's gesture. "Thank you, Taylor," she said warmly. "You always know how to brighten our mornings." As they enjoyed their breakfast together, they shared light conversation about their plans for the day ahead.

" You're welcome," Taylor said with a smile on his face. "Have you had any luck finding a job yet?"

Sarah took a sip of her coffee, her expression thoughtful. "I've applied to a few places," she replied, her voice tinged with optimism. "There's a receptionist position at a local law firm downtown that seemed promising. I also sent in an application to a nearby bookstore—they're looking for someone to manage their social media and events. Oh, and I applied for a local publishing house that's looking for an editorial assistant. It's a bit of a long shot, but I figured it's worth a try." She glanced at Taylor, a hint of anticipation in her eyes. "Fingers crossed that something comes through soon."

"Absolutely," Taylor replied, nodding reassuringly. "If those don't pan out, we'll brainstorm some other options together. Maybe there are some local businesses looking for administrative help or writing assistance. We'll figure it out, Sarah." His tone was supportive, conveying a sense of confidence in their ability to tackle the challenge together. Sarah smiled gratefully, appreciating Taylor's unwavering support and optimism. Together, they would navigate this new chapter of their lives, determined to overcome any obstacles that came their way.

As Jessamyn reflected on the supportive conversation between her mom and Taylor, a bittersweet longing stirred within her. Deep down, she knew that her parents being together again was unlikely, given the complexities of their lives and relationships. Yet, despite the challenges and changes, she couldn't help but wish she could have a family that was whole. The wistful desire for her parents' reunion lingered in her heart, a silent hope amidst the realities of their new life in Tulsa.
————————————

Taylor, eager to spend more time with Jessamyn and strengthen their bond, proposed driving her to school that day. "How about I drop you off at school?" he suggested with a warm smile. "We can chat along the way and catch up on how things are going. It'll be a nice start to the day after our breakfast sandwiches, don't you think?" His offer conveyed genuine affection and a desire to connect with Jessamyn amid the changes in their lives.

She flashed him a smile. " I would love that." Grabbing her book bag, she kissed her mom goodbye and left with him.

He had to drop her off a short distance away so that no one would notice him. He had to maintain a certain image for his fans, and introducing Jessamyn as his daughter from a previous relationship could complicate matters. Jessamyn understood the importance of privacy in Taylor's public life and respected his decision to drop her off discreetly. Despite the limitations, their time together provided a precious opportunity for connection and support during the transition period.