30

Chapter 30: Normalcy.

"You remember too much,
my mother said to me,
Why hold onto all that?

And I said,
Where do I put it down?"
'The Glass Essay', Anne Carson—

And I said,Where do I put it down?"'The Glass Essay', Anne Carson—

It wasn't the best idea to meet up today.

My shift at the café is longer than expected. Chan has something due tomorrow morning for one of his college subjects and I kind of owe him for what he did yesterday, so I tell him to go home and finish the assignment.

He's reluctant, of course he is, but I push him out the door with force and he gives up eventually, embarrased that the eyes of some clients are strictly on us.

At six thirty in the afternoon, I text Jisung that we should meet up some other day.

Trailing my eyes through the familiar place, I find myself smiling at the normalcy of everything, the routine I've managed to get back into despite being on the verge of a breakdown just yesterday. The fact that the people I love, the essentials in my life, haven't left even after I let myself be vulnerable in front of them, makes a smile creep up to my face.

I find Felix's figure in the corner of the café, headphones on, tongue poking out and focus strictly on the homework he has to finish, the same I have as well. I'll take care of it later.

The place isn't full, only a few faces coming into my vision when I let my eyes wander around. There's a calm atmosphere that has settled as soon as busy hours were over, it soothes me into comfort. The bell at the door rings and takes my focus with it.

Jisung bursts in, smile wide on his lips and direction set on his feet as he walks directly towars me.

I can't help the fond twist of my lips that settles into a kind grin. "What are you doing here?" I say. My voice comes off too sweet, maybe, but I'm past the point of caring.

Jisung jumps and sits on the counter as if this was my house. I slap him off, because clients are staring. "Hey!" he complains.

"No one wants their food close to somewhere your butt as touched, Jisung." A bit dramatically, I'll admit, because I want to piss him off, I start searching for the disinfectant and a wipe.

Jisung pouts. "I'm happy to see you too." His eyes are trained on my every move, I can feel them. "I came because I still want to brainstorm for the project, Min."

I softly hum, acknowledging his statement and cleaning the counter still. He slaps my hand and I have to fight the urge to spray him with the disinfectant on the face. When I'm done, I put away the stuff with some glaring from Jisung's part.

However, he doesn't hold the fierce, half-annoyed stare for much longer after I open the little door on the counter, inviting him to join me here were only staff is supposed to be. As he settles with a content smile somewhere close to me, my heat starts picking up pace, especially after he slides a sly arm to wrap around my shoulders.