13) Resilience

Scott's heart sank as he trotted up to Emma's motionless form. He shifted back and knelt beside her, his eyes scanning her for any signs of life. His daughter lay there, caught in a state between human and animal, a tragic reflection of their supernatural world's complexities. The air was heavy with the weight of uncertainty as Scott gently nudged her, hoping for some response.

"Emma?" he whispered, his voice tinged with fear and desperation.

There was no reply, only the eerie silence of the forest surrounding them. Scott felt a surge of helplessness wash over him, a feeling he hadn't experienced since the early days of his own transformation. He glanced up at the moon, its pale glow casting shadows on the ground, a reminder of the forces beyond their control.

Suddenly, a voice cut through the stillness, breaking the tension like a bolt of lightning. Stiles emerged from the trees, his expression a mix of concern and determination.

"Scott, what happened? Is Emma okay?" he asked, his voice trembling slightly.

Scott shook his head, unable to find the words to convey the gravity of the situation. Stiles knelt beside him, his eyes wide with alarm as he took in Emma's condition. Thankfully, she had taken a ragged breath, allowing the terrified parents a moment of respite in their fear.

"We need to get her to Deaton. Now." Stiles muttered firmly, his voice steady despite the panic rising within him.

Scott nodded, his mind racing with a million questions and fears. He carefully lifted Emma into his arms, cradling her close as he rose to his feet. Stiles followed close behind, his hand resting reassuringly on Scott's shoulder.

Together, they set off through the forest, their steps heavy with the weight of uncertainty. The journey felt endless, each passing moment filled with dread and anticipation. But amidst the darkness, there was a glimmer of hope, a flicker of resilience that refused to be extinguished.

Unnoticed by her fathers (which was not surprising considering her ragged state), a third tail had appeared, drooping limply as the family rushed to find answers.