Chapter 11: Where is he?

Flying over Sunset, Cypher, Omen, Reyna, and Araneae were looking at the arena that had collapsed. It still looked relatively the same but without the invisible barriers and walls up around the sites.

"Fly us lower Omen," Araneae says standing up from her seat on the smaller Valorant protocol helicopter.

"Will do," Omen replies lowering the chopper. They were now about 30 feet from the ground and  Araneae walks to the door of the chopper and unlatches the lock to open the door.

"Keep us steady," Araneae calls out.

"You're not jumping out," Cypher warns. "It's not safe, you will get hurt. Besides we can see more from up here."

"Gekko may be dumb but he's not an idiot," Araneae states, sliding the door open. "He's not out in the open, he would have took to shelter. If he's still here at least."

"He's alive," Reyna chimes in. "but you wont be if you jump from this high up."

"Keep watch from above. I'll be on comms, only talk to me if you need to," Araneae states flatly walking to the edge of the chopper.

"Don't jump," Reyna states flatly only to see Araneae step right off the edge.

-Araneae's pov-

I walked off the edge and immediately shot webs from both my hands onto the roof of a nearby building, pulling myself to it. I landed and rolled, doing a somersault before jumping to my feet to start running. I don't know where I was running to particularly, I was just running. I slowed my pace and shot another web at a building and decided to swing over to check A site and move through the, now collapsed, arena.

Since I was no longer bound to the arena's restriction on my radanite abilities, I was able to freely swing, shooting a web, pulling myself along, and repeating the process. I finally allowed myself to plant my feet down where A alley stood.

Equipping my vandal, I decided to not play quietly. If anyone was still here with my Gekko, it would be the end of them.  I started checking every corner of A site. Traveling to attacker spawn, still checking every corner,  I started checking inside buildings that previously the arena wouldn't allow for you to enter.

Seconds felt like minutes, minutes like hours. Checking every corner, occasionally calling out,

"Mateo? ¿dónde estás?"

Now in attacker spawn, I peer out to the houses. Mateo had told me his house is around here somewhere. I'm willing to bet if he's still here, he would try and get home.

I shot a web to the street light closest to the nearest house and swung over. It will take way too long to check every single house in the entirety of this city or even just the houses near the arena. How am I supposed to know which one is his house?

I remember back to a conversation we had: "Across the street and up a bit, there's this  building called the New Heights Recreation Center, that I play basketball all the time at. It's nice because it's so close to my house."

Looking back across the street I see the same New Heights Recreation Center that he was talking about, his house has gotta be one of these first three houses. I decide to walk towards the first house. Walking up the stairs to the porch, I think about what it must be like to have a family and live in a house. Maybe I had that before all my memories got wiped by Omega Kingdom, I'd never know.

I reached for the door handle and opened it. It wasn't locked, I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. Walking through the entry way into the house, I see photos of Mateo and his family. It feels wrong to be here uninvited. I only briefly made it through the front room of the house before deciding this was an invasion of privacy.