16. {phoebe begins}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"hey beauty." malakai smiled. he was leaning against the entrance of the arcade they were going to. phoebe offered to drive him down but he said he would rather just meet her there, that he had things he needed to do before he came. and yet, he still managed to arrive before her.

"hi." bee greeted with a smile. her stomach was bubbling with nerves and her face was growing warm. phoebe really liked malakai and she was extremely nervous for their official first date.

he pulled her into a hug, resting his head on her soft, dark curls. she smelt of lavender, it seemed to be her favourite scent as his bathroom also smelt like it. "you ready?" he asked, gently shaking her shoulders.

"ready as i'll ever be." bee nodded. the boy took her hand and guided her into the building. instantly, it was filled with noise, beeping, people loudly laughing and bright lights. phoebe squinted in discomfort. she had spent a month preparing herself for the overwhelmingness of the slay ball, but she had the minutes it took her to drive to the location to prepare herself for this.

the two walked in, hand in hand, and malakai knew exactly where he wanted to go. since she had bested him during that basketball match in school, he knew he needed a chance to redeem himself. phoebe laughed as they approached the basketball toss. "sore loser needs a rematch?" phoebe tauntingly pouted.

he scoffed. "i didn't lose, it was a fluke." malakai corrected her as he crouched down to insert the coins into the slot. the game lit up and phoebe forced a smile, trying to mask the discomfort she was experiencing. "ladies first."

phoebe reached over and pulled out a basketball. she took a step back and threw it in. the ball landed perfectly in the net, making her grin. "your turn."

malakai wore a smug face as he took over. he quickly seized an orange ball and hurled it into the ring. it was a weak shot but he still got the point regardless. "hm, i guess you were right when you said you score on and off the court." phoebe hummed, picking up a new basketball.

the boy froze at her words, watching as she tossed a few more balls into the net. "hey phoebe, about that—" he started as he scratched the back of his head.

"don't stress about it, i'm just playing."

"ant told you?" malakai sighed.

"i think it's time you realise ant tells me everything." bee shrugged. "some things i really didn't want to know." she shuddered.

malakai laughed. "well i'm still sorry about it either way." he then realised what she was doing. "hey!" he exclaimed, grabbing her hands and pulling her back. "you're a dirty little cheater."