Ch.19

Newts POV

I sighed I really didn't want McKenna in the maze I was scared I wanted to hold her and protect her after what happened to Ben. I didn't want her stung or dead.

"But why would Alby go into the maze? I mean he's not a runner?" Thomas asks me.

"Things are different now." I said annoyed "Alby went to retrace Ben's footsteps before sun down. Look are you going to help?" I said getting annoyed.

"Okay so he's gonna go back to where Ben was just stung?-" Thomas questioned.

"Alby knows what he's doing." I threatened.
"What about McKenna she hasn't been able to run much for a reason!" Thomas said I stared at him wondering why he cared so much for her for being here not even 3 days.

"They both know what they are doing. McKennas smart. She'll stick to Minho. That's what's best for her. Alright? He knows better than any of us."I said.

I continued chopping "What does that mean?" Thomas asks.

I rubbed my head getting frustrated "it's like you have heard yeah?" I pointed at him.

"Every month. The box sends up a new arrival someone had to be first alright? Someone has to have spent a whole month in the Glade alone. That was Alby." I explained.

"I mean it can't have been easy. But when those other boys started coming up, one after the other. He saw the truth. And he learned that the most important thing is that we all have each other. Because we're all in this together." I continued chopping as Thomas came over to help.

"Yeah." I said happily.

"There ya go greenie!"

Thomas looked over catching my attention the clouds were getting darker. It never rained here before? Why now?

It scared me I had a really bad gut feeling.

I just hope they make it back on time.

I never got to tell her how I felt about her. I mean she pretty much knows I'm sure. But I wanted to make it official. If that was even possible.

The sky kept getting darker and it finally started raining so we all took cover.

I stood there watching waiting for them to come back.

My heart pounded out of my chest out of anticipation it didn't help the greenie kept asking questions about her and them coming back.

I could tell Gally was worried even if he tried hard hiding it.

Gally POV

I was worried I didn't want her to go in there I hated Alby for making her go.

I get Ben is dead and gone. But she doesn't need to be gone too.

It started raining and I knew this had to be because of Thomas. It's all his fault things are changing.

I seen him kiss her in the woods so that's why I knew to make it official. I needed to show him and be clear on what's mine and only mine. But now that she's gone in the maze.

The maze might have her.

"They should be back by now." I heard Thomas say to Newt.

The stupid shank never knows when to stop asking questions.

He's the reason all of this happens the reason I can't keep her safe.

"What happens if they don't make it?" He said getting worried I looked at Newt glaring. He stared right back at me.

"They're gonna make it" Newt had slight hope.

But for some reason I didn't.
"What happens if they don't?"

"They're gonna make it." Newt said.
Thomas and Newt were like the battles in my head and heart. Hoping and Pleading.  Begging.

This one thing in life I have and only love. To be okay.