𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐰𝐨: 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐇𝐞𝐫

ꜱᴀɴᴛɪᴀɢᴏ ᴀʟᴠᴀʀᴏ

A knock on our bedroom door wakes me up. I look over to Salma's bed and she's still sound asleep. But I could see the tear stains on her face from her crying earlier. 

She had gotten a B on her history report. Papá wasn't going to be happy about that one.

Mamá opens the door and sticks her head inside. She peeks at Salma and smiles at me. "Vamos, hablemos, hijo."
|Spanish- C'mon, let's talk, son.|

I climbed out of bed reluctantly and followed her to the living room. As she sat down at the wooden dinner table, I could see the bruised marks around her neck from the rope.

"What did you want to talk about?" I ask.

"Cariño, quería comprobar lo que viste," she whispered.
|Spanish- Baby, I want to check on what you saw.|

I know she's talking about earlier today when I walked in on her with a rope around her neck. I ran over to her and grabbed a knife from the kitchen. I was able to cut her down, but she was choking, and her skin was paler than usual.

I took Salma to the park across the street while mamá got herself situated. "Lo que viste fue un momento de debilidad," she huffed. "Fue algo que nunca volverá a suceder. Prometo."
|Spanish- What you saw was a moment of weakness. It is something that will never happen again. Promise.|

I looked down at the table and mamá reached for my hand. "Hijo, I promise you that it-"

I snatch my hand away from her. "You were going to leave us with him. With that man who constantly ruins us and our lives. You were going to leave your children with him! And I will never forgive you."

----------------------------

I strolled through the office, a mix of emotions swirling in me. Last night was a lot to say the least.

Leilani and I had finally...experienced each other to the full compacity. Then I told her to put in her two weeks' notice.

It was for the best, I told myself. She was getting attached. She was already breaking down walls and blurring more lines than any other assistant I've ever had.

I moved into her a few more times before I stilled and laid against her. When I looked up at her, I could see the look in her eyes. She was attached. I was thinking that after we had sex, I'd be out of whatever trance she entrapped me in. But it didn't. I could feel a pinch in my chest as we shared the same look. We were trapped in each other and beyond saving. And I couldn't have someone cut me like that again.

I pressed the floor I wanted, but not before a hand reached out and stopped the elevator from closing. Camille walked through and maybe I imagined it, but it seemed like her smile vanished when she saw me.